What's new
What's new

Belt guard mounting

SteveM

Diamond
How does the motor to countershaft belt guard attach?
Just the one bolt?
Or is there some other piece to keep it from rotating on the bolt?
Or do the models that came with the guard have something on the casting to hold it in place?

Steve

So does anyone have information on how this mounts?
Any pictures of the mount attached to the motor mount?
There is a block that bolts to the motor bracket first, then the belt guard attaches to the block. The belt guard use 1 bolt and the block has a pin that also locates in the bolt slot to keep it the guard from moving. I’ll get you a picture tonight.

Belt guard mounting block

Attachments

• 9F02763D-1BA6-45CB-A602-EC13322D1757.jpg
    9F02763D-1BA6-45CB-A602-EC13322D1757.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 787D6A93-C343-4A34-8D13-444A3E569460.jpg
    787D6A93-C343-4A34-8D13-444A3E569460.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 9
It's interesting that none of the parts catalogs I have looked at have that part.
They have the cover, but not that part.

I have had several 9As and 10Ks over the years, and collected photos of many more. None of them had a belt guard for the motor/countershaft belt. Was this an option?
I do have a belt guard which I assumed was shop made. It has expanded metal heavy screen for the vertical panel.

I have had several 9As and 10Ks over the years, and collected photos of many more. None of them had a belt guard for the motor/countershaft belt. Was this an option?
I do have a belt guard which I assumed was shop made. It has expanded metal heavy screen for the vertical panel.
I think they all had guards, at least from the 40's and on, but 99% were removed and lost.

I think they all had guards, at least from the 40's and on, but 99% were removed and lost.
Mine is a 1947 and never came with one.

There is a flat place on the motor mount for it to mount to, but no holes drilled.

They started coming on them at some point, but not sure when. It might have only been offered on the 10k, although the drive unit I think is the same.

1948 catalog doesn't show it.

1950 and 1967 catalogs show it on the 10k, but the 1967 9" catalog does not.

Sounds like many shop-made guard that were put on after the OSHA inspector fainted when they didn't see a guard.
There were also a lot of creative sheet-metal guards over the flat belts.

I don't think it's the same machine but mrpete222 did a video or videos when he added a belt guard to it.

First in the series:

Funny that while discussing this, a motor mount with the adapter pops up on ebay.

Attachments

• SB_MotorMount01.jpg
    SB_MotorMount01.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 6

Back