What's new
What's new

Bench grinding wheel recommendation

Just a Sparky

Hot Rolled
Looking for a quick and dirty recommendation for a wheel to chuck into a new bench grinder. Too much on my mind and too many projects out right now to drop everything and thoroughly research grinding wheels and their myriad part numbers & characteristics. Just need someone in the know to recommend a decent wheel for the job off the cuff so I can slam this thing back together and tackle the next project.

New bench grinder will accept a 10" by 1.5" wheel and spin it at 1800 RPM. Nameplate is MIA but guessing 1 horsepower. Looking primarily to do general grinding of mild steel but also the occasional HSS/Cobalt/Mo-Max/Rex-95/etc. tool for my shaper, fly cutter, etc. where I don't have insert tooling. Looking for one wheel only - other side of the machine will be set up with a wire wheel.

Would also appreciate pointers towards the right truing stick for the job. I've got a 'pinwheel'/'star' dresser, but someone mentioned to me that those aren't great for getting wheels trued?

Information overload. :willy_nilly:

If someone could get me pointed in the right direction I would appreciate it.

The star wheel dressers are about as good as they get for a good sharp wheel. You can kiss the wheel with a diamond after if you want a little better finish. I'd lean toward a 36-60 O or P wheel for a general bench grinder if it's not used for cutting tools so much. That will work good for mild steel, you may need to do a little extra dressing for HSS.

Usually, the wheel that comes on a bench grinder is a little on the hard and coarse side and is very good for longer lasting for general snag grinding.
Very smooth dressing and going to a finer wheel can be better for tool bit sharpening.
Star wheel dressers that Eric mentioned are good and a block of carborundum can be handy.
The rest table needs to be often adjusted to 1/32 (or about ) from the wheel so your finger can not be pulled into the grinding. Gloves are recommended to not be used for most machining.. Definitely no gloves with wire wheels
Wire wheels are best with having No Table Rest because it is common to get your finger/hand pulled in.

*It takes a little getting used to..so you don't hold parts at an up-angle, and then have the wheel or wire brush flip the work down, and put you or your part in danger.
The crackerjack mini is the berries..but overkill for most work.

Last edited:

Back