What's new
What's new

Bench-Master spindle bearings p/n

markwesti

Aluminum
Hi , I recently got a MV-1. It was in parts and very rusty , luckily I bought it before it was too late . Sorry no before pictures , I will take some in progress pictures today . I'm going to take the head to a shop that does press work and I would like to have new bearings ready to go , when I get there . The lower (big) bearing p/n I have , I need the upper bearing p/n .
Thanks , Mark .

New problem , the Bench-Master that I picked up had the wrong "Z" knee lead screw included in the pile . Kind of weird , anyhow the lead screw that I got is 5/8-10 LH . I think it should be a 3/4-10 LH screw (if somebody could confirm that , that would be nice) . I sourced a 3/4 screw and the nut , here is my question how long over all should the screw be including the turned down length that the Boston gear goes onto ?
Thanks , Mark .
IMG_1094 by mark westi, on Flickr

IMG_1096 by mark westi, on Flickr

so the screw that you have is 5/8 " is the nut you have 3/4 " ? if that's the case could you install a 5/8 " nut to make it work ? i don't have any info on the two that i had there is a member here that has one of them that was going to convert it to cnc with ball screws hopefully he will chime in as i keep in info on any past dealings . it looks like the bearings worked

it's Interested that a small machine builder would select a bearing set used on a Ford tractor axle. Wonder how many other machine builders did the same?

price and availability may have had something to do with it or it was just a hold over from some other machine . i think it was from one of the boy mechanic books i have from the 20's that shows making a small lathe using a ford model T front spindle

As far as I know Benchmaster did not "select Ford parts".

Older ones have war surplus bearings. Mine has very good quality bearings, complete with burnish marks for best alignment. I don't recall the markings (should have made a note or taken a pic), but at the time I recall noting that they were much better than the silly little machine "deserved".

I remember seeing elsewhere that the bearings were war surplus and thus Benchmaster got them cheap, despite the fact that they are a very good grade.

so the screw that you have is 5/8 " is the nut you have 3/4 " ? if that's the case could you install a 5/8 " nut to make it work ? i don't have any info on the two that i had there is a member here that has one of them that was going to convert it to cnc with ball screws hopefully he will chime in as i keep in info on any past dealings . it looks like the bearings worked
Yes the screw that I have is 5/8-10 LH and the turned down end that fits into the knee , that the Boston right angle gear goes onto is turned down to 3/8 . The bearing that the turned down end passes through in the knee is 5/16 . Plus the screw about 20" long , I think it only needs to be about 12" long . The nut in the machine is 3/4 . I have a good source for a screw and a nut , just wondering about the length . The bearings are not in the head yet , I have been reading that people have had to shim to get new bearings to fit correctly , I don't know what they are talking about . Can anyone shed some light on that ?
Thanks , Mark .

[ I have been reading that people have had to shim to get new bearings to fit correctly ] i think i may have some bad info on that . on top of your threaded spindle there is a nut [there may be two] that is what you adjust [tight / lose ] for your bearing clearance . no shims on the two i did the only pita was the dust covers . i don't know if you have a manual on your machine [i never did] but i did fined some info at [old wood working machines] they are a good place for info posted by members

Yup , still here :-)

Attachments

• on_stand.jpeg
    on_stand.jpeg
    529.6 KB · Views: 13
Yup , still here :-)
nice bench . i am bad with names . i just moved my dads logan 1957 in the shop i saved it for last i just sold the clausing 4804 lathe 12 x 36 [it only sat for 20 years in parts before i put it back together ] . hey kopcicle if you can help markwesti out with some info or parts or a parts supply if you can . thanks , chris.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    1,004.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    686.4 KB · Views: 6
As for that screw on the table adjust (Z)............. I checked mine, and it is 5/8", 16 inches overall length.

The length is all used when the table is fully up. You might not do that very much, but when you need to, the capability is there. Yes, you will need to have some significant space below the mill for that screw to retract into when the table is down low.

The screw that I do not like, is the table longitudinal screw. On mine, the screw is several inches short of the end of the table, and as a result, I have a line 2 or 3 inches short of the end which is the last place that can go under the spindle before the table stops moving because the screw has come out of the nut.

I intend to make a longer screw so that I can use the entire left end of the table. There is already a several inch space at the right end of the table which is not usable except for clamping, because the bracket runs into the knee. I can't afford to lose those inches at both ends. (I still wish I had one of the units with the long table, which was a crazy length, I forget if it was 24 inches or 36 inches. That could be very handy, but might be a bit floppy.)

Chris, I already reached out to him.

My Benchmaster CNC Mill

www.freemansgarage.com
www.freemansgarage.com
https://tinyurl.com/2cxhavre
https://tinyurl.com/55d26knf

Thanks guys , the lead screw that I got with my disassembled machine is about 16" long X 5/8 . The hole in "Z" nut is .630 , that being said it's a guess as to what's going on there . The turned down end of the "Z" screw is 3/8 , and the bearing in the knee is 5/16 and the bevel gear has a 3/8 hole . It will be interesting to get to the bottom of that . Dennis , I see on your machine there is a shaft sitting on top of the "Z" screw , what's up with that ? The vertical ways width is 5 3/4 .
Mark .

Last edited:
Thanks guys , the lead screw that I got with my disassembled machine is about 16" long X 5/8 . The hole in "Z" nut is .630 , that being said it's a guess as to what's going on there . The turned down end of the "Z" screw is 3/8 , and the bearing in the knee is 5/16 and the bevel gear has a 3/8 hole . It will be interesting to get to the bottom of that . Dennis , I see on your machine there is a shaft sitting on top of the "Z" screw , what's up with that ? The vertical ways width is 5 3/4 .
Mark .
That screw sounds correct. The bearing may be wrong, and if yours has a 3/4" nut, that is wrong, at least it is not the same as mine.

Seems like you need a correct nut, and a correct bearing, and you will be good to go.

As for the "shaft", if you mean the visible unthreaded length, that would be the portion that does not go into the nut when the table is fully lowered. No need for threads, so n threads there.

Back