What's new
What's new

benchmaster mill

1yesca

Stainless
has been setting for about 10 years i never used it so its time to go i . i took it completely apart [was gummed up ] cleaned and oiled every thing vary little wear org. paint the table is clean not all drilled or milled up[need to dig in the solvent tank for that missing gib screw and nut] vary smooth

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg005.jpg007.jpg

# 2 M/T . true its no Bridgeport but for its size it was a well though out and built machine . thanks for looking .

Benchmaster also made a ton of mechanical die press's that we used to sell and service for the leather industry. They became obsolete as the safer hydraulic machines took over and we ended up discontinuing our support and scrapping inventory as our side of that market went away, but AFAIK they're still in business. Not sure if they support the milling machines still but they might at least have some OEM info on it for you.

Benchmaster - Moneco Machines

I've got one like that.

As long as you can see under that huge canopy that covers the pulleys, you are good. (I took mine off).

They are actually quite solid, and the table is heavy enough to cut down on the vibrations and chatter from larger cutters. Nothing wrong with them aside from having no quill, and not having the niceties of larger machines (feeds, rapids, speed control gearboxes, etc).

I've got one like that.

As long as you can see under that huge canopy that covers the pulleys, you are good. (I took mine off).

They are actually quite solid, and the table is heavy enough to cut down on the vibrations and chatter from larger cutters. Nothing wrong with them aside from having no quill, and not having the niceties of larger machines (feeds, rapids, speed control gearboxes, etc).

I've seen a few for sale over the years that had the small Rusnok head mounted on what were probably originally the horizontal version. Looks like an ideal small footprint light duty bench top mill.

# 2 M/T . true its no Bridgeport but for its size it was a well though out and built machine . thanks for looking .

It is actually said to be a fair performance - and even "stiffness" - match for a "round ram" M-head #2 MT BirdPort that wants over double the space and is NOT easily rolled off to a parking spot when not in active use. "Dovetail" ram BirdPort is a different story.

Far nicer table than a Burke or the like as well. It would make a nice compliment to a Hardinge "T" horizontal .. which also has a nice table?

But the 5205 lb Avoir "Quartet" is "HERE" and even on MACHINERY SKATES! Though "rolling" is actually 2-inch at a go progressive levering, it can be moved about.

So I'm set .. prolly "for life"!

In the first set of pictures you have both the horizontal motor mount and the vertical motor mount.
That is a unique combination.

sharp eye there . i have a complete boxed horizontal set up and most of a second set up . i will get some pic of it and post . if i was going to keep it i would leave the horizontal motor base with its own motor and pulley with a inline plug for the power so if one wanted to switch from horizontal to vertical all one would have to do is unplug the power from one motor and plug in the other and remove the vertical motor and spindle assy. and replace with the horizontal spindle assy. could be done in a few minuets .

ok so as promised here are some pic of the boxed horizontal set up that i put together . got it from a guy at the range . i was over at his place he was showing me his shop i saw his benchmaster mill and replied my dad has one of them . he ask me do you know what this extra stuff is ? i replied only seen one on the net its a horizontal set up for your mill. he grab a box loaded it up and told me to take it as he would never use it . made the box and had to come up with a pulley and put it all together with every thing to set it up other then a motor set up and belt . the other one [or most of one] i have i was at the rockler tool swap meet and this guy i see there ask me do you know what this is . yes i do . good its yours . so that's my story and i am stuck with it. thanks for looking.

003.jpg006.jpg001.jpg002.jpg

Last edited:
sharp eye there . i have a complete boxed horizontal set up and most of a second set up . i will get some pic of it and post . if i was going to keep it i would leave the horizontal motor base with its own motor and pulley with a inline plug for the power so if one wanted to switch from horizontal to vertical all one would have to do is unplug the power from one motor and plug in the other and remove the vertical motor and spindle assy. and replace with the horizontal spindle assy. could be done in a few minuets

Just for comparison, the "dance" to switch the 5205 lb Quartet Combo Mill from H to V or the reverse is far more complex than the "minuet" - even with nowt to add or remove but yer own sweat:

It didn't sell well. Benchamster did OK, though.

Go figure!

:D

I have the complete setup also, but since I also have a "real" horizontal mill, I have never used it. It probably "works", but I don't like the Benchmaster setup for horizontal. The spindle goes in the "ram clamps", and a fairly light, thin casting clamps on the spindle housing between the clamps to hold the overarm. Does not seem very stiff.

I'd not want to use that for much without an overarm support out at the loose end. They had one available, but I've never seen a machine that had it. You'd need to cobble one up.

I have the complete setup also, but since I also have a "real" horizontal mill, I have never used it. It probably "works", but I don't like the Benchmaster setup for horizontal. The spindle goes in the "ram clamps", and a fairly light, thin casting clamps on the spindle housing between the clamps to hold the overarm. Does not seem very stiff.

I'd not want to use that for much without an overarm support out at the loose end. They had one available, but I've never seen a machine that had it. You'd need to cobble one up.

true but a bit of common seance would go a long way may be that it would be better suited for slotting screw heads not boiler plate machinist work one must know there limitation as well as the machine they are trying to use . and here are two pic. of the set up . and there's no need to cobble if you need one make it . i did not cobble the storage box together . i wanted one so i made it .

img6.jpgimg5.jpg

So is this a For Sale post?

Appetizer course.

Price cometh after salivation.

You'd have to know Northern Italian cuisine?
Or maybe just Northern Chinese and rodent-raising for the table?

A clean little insect and veggie-fed Benchamster would class as "delicat essen"

On of the most profitable of such eateries has "made their bones" off serving-up the Hell out of farmed rats.. to GERMAN tourists!

Poor sods just were NOT thinking ahead when they elected all their tastiest rats to public office, now have to fly to China or go hungry?

:(

Last edited:
Yeah, light work uless you make a support.

With a support, it would probably do quite a bit. And one could always make a better clamp for holding the overarm to the spindle housing.

"Cobble" was intended to mean "shop make". Cobblers used to make some very good shoes just from sheet leather, so "cobble" does not mean crap work, more "make from raw stock".

so i think i have taken it about as far as i want to go with it as i have two more lathes and one more mill to go . cool thing about the two horizontal set ups i was thinking that the one was incomplete but it was complete so that makes me happier then a bull with two peters

View attachment 320235001.jpg004.jpg009.jpg007.jpg005.jpg

Last edited:

Back