What's new
What's new

benchmaster mill

You got a good modern number for the shaft seal just under the top bearing?

I didn't find one, so I stuck a plain felt seal there.

i believe the bearings are the same as a model A ford front wheel bearings
Mine had WW2 surplus high precision bearings. Still does, as they were fine and only needed cleaning and grease.

Might be the same size as something else, at least for one of them, but not entirely "the same".

But I don't need bearings, was just wondering if ther is a current part # reference for the seal under the top bearing.

@1yesca and others.

Still plugging away Chris :-)

I got the mill trammed in. (not much to do it was very close) and made the usual minor adjustments. I started it up and there were a few odd noises and ...

Just how warm are these bearings supposed to get? Just a few minutes and I couldn't leave my hand on the top of the spindle. I'm getting some heat off the bottom bearing but the top bearing gets positively hot.

I'm no stranger to proper bearing preload. Am I missing something here? Is there a one lube to rule them all?
I had dial indicators on the top and bottom of the spindle. I counted down from .002" , .001" , .000-something then barely 15 degrees on the preload collar. Heat, and lots of it.

These are very common automotive bearings.

Timken 09074 Tapered Roller Bearing
Timken 09194 Race
Timken 15118 Tapered Roller Bearing
Timken 15250 Race
Standard stuff from your local auto supply store.

Any bright ideas ?

The preload info that I found somewhere was to leave about 0.001" slop, cold. That seemed to work well. No sign of chatter, and no overheating.

Back