What's new
What's new

Benchtop lathe with pneumatic tailstock

Johndamato

Plastic
I am building a custom rotary welder and I want to use a benchtop style lathe for the main body, primarily so that the tailstock can be kept aligned easily using the ways and also moved to different positions quickly. However, I also want the tailstock to be pneumatic, because there will be hundreds of parts that will be welded, so a pneumatic tailstock allows them to be changed quickly, and also with consistent pressure. I have my eye on something like the grizzly mini metal lathe (and swap it with my own motors and weld controller), but cannot find any pneumatic options. I have built a previous system that uses the chinesium 4th axis with pneumatic tailstocks from ebay, but they do not come with ways to couple the headstock and tailstock.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

^^^ I don't know of any companies that made a pnumatic tailstock option (perhaps hydraulic on bigger and CNC machines), but it wouldn't be hard to adapt. Use a cylinder with a threaded end, make an adapter to thread it to the back of the tailstock where the screw bearing normally lives, then make an adapter for the quill to match the cylinder ram threads.

When we we doing production turning of plastic disks on our CNC Atlas, we used a square steel bar to turn the screw of the tail stock. The hole and key were on one end and the weight of the other end maintained the pressure. The aluminum block behind the tailstock had a spring plunger for limiting the pressure. this would only work if the thickness of the disks was reasonably close tolerance.AtlasLathe.jpg tolerance.

^^^ I don't know of any companies that made a pnumatic tailstock option (perhaps hydraulic on bigger and CNC machines), but it wouldn't be hard to adapt. Use a cylinder with a threaded end, make an adapter to thread it to the back of the tailstock where the screw bearing normally lives, then make an adapter for the quill to match the cylinder ram threads.
Thanks guys, I didnt think of this relatively simple solution, mostly because I havent disassembled a tailstock before haha. But yes this seems relatively simple.

Back