What's new
What's new

Benchtop mill identification

tooltalk

Plastic
Hey everyone,

This benchtop mini mill (that's how it's advertised, not sure what it is) is coming up for sale in an auction near me and I was wondering if anyone here recognizes it? These pics are from auction site, but I'm hoping to get a closer look at it during the auction preview in a couple days. Any info would be appreciated as I'm trying to decide what it might be worth, whether it's missing any important parts, and how useful it might be for a hobbyist like me.

Thanks.mill.jpegmill2.jpegmill3.jpegmill4.jpegmill5.jpeg

Last edited:
If you're making small precision parts, that thing would be the cats ass!
Collets could be tough to find - Lathes UK says it takes "Lorch Long Collets".

If you're making small precision parts, that thing would be the cats ass!
Collets could be tough to find - Lathes UK says it takes "Lorch Long Collets".

Had a look at machine tonight and it has one 1/4" collet in it (see attached pic). Not sure if that's a Lorch Long or not.

20221107_172941.jpg

It might / could be - A photo of the front of the collets are on Lathes UK, but of course, no dimensions are given ..........

That mill appears to have been sitting and not being used for a very long time. Due to a high probability of years of storage & shop contamination, old congealed oil etc then if you get it I'd fully expect to have to do a full disassembly, detailed cleaning and then reassembly. I had to soak parts of my South Bend shaper in diesel for a few weeks just to get it disassembled for the same reasons. Looks like a BCA to me as well, but I'm certainly no expert on them and there were others built much like the BCA's. Depending on how well it was lubed and looked after it could be a very fine small machine or a money pit. In general the BCA's and others like them were built to high accuracy levels and considered as small jig borers. A lot of mechanical watch makers were using them. I probably wouldn't want it as my only mill but it would be a great addition while having a larger one as well.

That mill appears to have been sitting and not being used for a very long time. Due to a high probability of years of storage & shop contamination, old congealed oil etc then if you get it I'd fully expect to have to do a full disassembly, detailed cleaning and then reassembly. I had to soak parts of my South Bend shaper in diesel for a few weeks just to get it disassembled for the same reasons. Looks like a BCA to me as well, but I'm certainly no expert on them and there were others built much like the BCA's. Depending on how well it was lubed and looked after it could be a very fine small machine or a money pit. In general the BCA's and others like them were built to high accuracy levels and considered as small jig borers. A lot of mechanical watch makers were using them. I probably wouldn't want it as my only mill but it would be a great addition while having a larger one as well.
I was thinking a lot of the same things and decided to pass on it. It also had a 50hz motor with the cord cut off and two frayed wires sticking out of it. So no way to know if the motor even worked. It ended up selling for $250CAD plus auction fees and taxes.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

Back