What's new
What's new

Bending Stainless Steel tubing

Fellowcraft

Plastic
Hello Folks,

Just a question regarding a project I am currently working on. It requires a piece of .75"OD stainless steel tubing with a 1/16" wall thickness to be bent into a U shape as per the picture attached. It requires a 5.5" centre line bend radius for both bends. The distance between the vertical legs in 19.69" centre to centre, and the height of the frame is 10.375.

I could bend this in-house using a manual bender, the problem is the distance between the vertical legs needs to be accurate to within .02", and they must be parallel. I also require three pieces which must be interchangeable. I have attempted to outsource this to various CNC bending outfits; however, none are capable to accept this job. The problem lies with the small tube diameter and large bend radius. None of them have the necessary dies or tooling. Can anyone suggest an outfit capable of accepting this job? I am located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada; however, a shop located in the United States would certainly not be out of the question.

There are also grooves machined along the vertical legs; these are only visual markers. If the vendor could machine these as well, that would be a bonus, but not necessary.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Frame.jpg
    Frame.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 258
I have done something similar, but it was allowed to be made from two pieces and welded in the center to establish the distance between the legs.

I second the notion to contact a hydraulic outfit. Not the everyday repair shop but the type the does big installations. I recently had an old linkbelt 60 ton crawler re-piped and they made some very long pipes with varied radius at many sizes. They should get it close enough to tweek by hand. Heck that tube will change just by temperature..02"is going to be hard to keep.

Back