What's new
What's new

Best coolant for a sensitive respiratory system?

Don't take chances with your lungs. I worked the last several years as an RRT, so I have some knowledge here. Make an appointment to see a pulmonologist and get the straight truth. My guess is if an N-95 doesn't do it you're looking at a supplied air respirator.

We have a small shop and the coolant mist when the mills are running, though invisible, can cause irritating coughs when I get home. Coincidentally we bought some industrial fans for the summer, 24” floor fans, and I haven’t coughed at home since.

Mist collectors, air cleaners etc. work, but good air movement through the shop is vital.

Hey I'm a bit late to this. I have the same sensitivity to various products. I ended up trying and liking the Hangsterfer's 5080. That being said, neat oils seem to be good too. Except when I get them smoking.

Blaser Rep.: Good to see you out here on the forum. I called you and Hangsterfers when I was looking to change. Only Hang-strf got back to me. I had seen "Adam the Machinist" using Blaser oil in his cnc mill and thought that may be an option.

I do see the athsma/allergy doc every 6 mos to make sure everything is okay. He told me that he didn't see as many problems with people who used "machine oil." I imagine he meant neat oils.

I do see the athsma/allergy doc every 6 mos to make sure everything is okay. He told me that he didn't see as many problems with people who used "machine oil." I imagine he meant neat oils.
The doctor may have meant mineral oil (versus animal or vegetable oil).

I don't have a sensitive respiratory system.....That being said....

I use PicoCool 5140. It has been great. I don't get any "haze" even while cutting with four machines in 90 degree heat and have never had any sort of reaction on my skin. However... When I mix a fresh batch (which is only every couple years) there is a slight ammonia smell

At higher concentrations, 8% or greater, Hangsterfer's 5080 burns my sinuses and lungs to the point where I physically cannot breath the vapor without choking. I'm not talking about breathing "fog" or mist, I mean if I open the doors to my VMC after a typical cycle I will not be able to breath while swapping parts. I can tolerate it at 4% to 5% concentration but I hold my breath when I swap out parts as much as possible, and take a step back to breath. I have not experienced this in any other coolant.

Hang's 5080 has a lot of other downsides in my experience:
-At higher concentrations, the smell of it permeates my skin and hair and clothes to the point where I still smell it on me after I take a shower, even though I wear rubber gloves when I swap out parts, and wear a hat to try and keep it out of my hair. It's as though it permeates the tissues of my sinuses and lungs. It becomes a part of consciousness itself....
-It has coated my machine enclosure and vises with a wax that does not wash off. The brushes on my Kurt vises are glued into a spread open position.
-It does not easily rinse off parts, and my aluminum parts look cloudy even if I rinse them immediately after each cycle, which I do. I have to physically brush my parts or rub with towels under water to get the haze off.
The switch to Hang's 5080 has hurt my productivity and I need to switch to something else immediately.

I like full synthetics so I will probably go back in that direction, to Castrol Syntilo 9918 which I used for 10 years, or maybe try something from Fuchs, Simcool, etc.

Back