What's new
What's new

Best place to buy welded band saw blades, and what for aluminum solids?

DavidScott

Diamond
I know it is kind of a dumb question but I just got a horizontal band saw and need to get some blades. I am looking for quality, especially in the weld, with good pricing both for the blades and shipping. I mainly cut 6061 aluminum bars with some 1018. Blade is 93" x 3/4". What and where please. I know the 6-12 teeth in the cut rule.

When I was buying pre-mades years ago they always broke at the weld long before they got dull, obviously not annealing them well enough.

Does the name DoALL ring a bell? They sell welded blades.

Years ago, I bought an expensive blade welder and tried to make it pay for itself by selling welded blades locally. I had one big shop that bought a lot of 20' long blades that meant I had to use two welds in some of them to use up a 50 foot coil of stock. After a while, I found that the DoAll dealer 90 miles away would sell me the same blade, including shipping, for less than I was charging to make the blades with cheaper blade stock. After that, the customer paid me the same price but got better blades.

DoAll has customer service people who will help select the best blades for your work. I won't claim they make the best blades in the world, but they certainly know what they are doing.

Larry

It's not a dumb question at all, rather a difficult one to answer.
The blade is a blade, there are garbage brands and good brands.
As a result, if you stay away from the garbage brands, all you've got left with is the quality of the weld to make the difference.

And there lies the difficulty in the answer: the price is what will separate the good source from the bad one.
I have gotten Lenox blades from a local, small supply house using direct factory welds, never a problem.
Got Arntz and Lenox blades from Specialty Saws. They used to weld their own and it was absolutely flawless!
Using Bahco nowadays. I was told that they have a few facilities in the US where they are "factory" welded and I think they're distributed by Snap-on dealers. The welds aren't overly pretty,
but no issues yet with anything.
Amada factory bands are also good, weld and blade quality.

Other than that, I have seen some INSANELY garbage welds from various distributors of otherwise quality brands.
Perhaps someone from your state can answer who might be a good local source, otherwise look for someone who distributes factory welded blades.

I know it is kind of a dumb question but I just got a horizontal band saw and need to get some blades. I am looking for quality, especially in the weld, with good pricing both for the blades and shipping. I mainly cut 6061 aluminum bars with some 1018. Blade is 93" x 3/4". What and where please. I know the 6-12 teeth in the cut rule.

When I was buying pre-mades years ago they always broke at the weld long before they got dull, obviously not annealing them well enough.

This is the only blade I use nowadays, on my 7x12 horizontal:

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/04960555?rItem=04960555

Say what you will about MSC, for me they are the Easy Button. Order on Tuesday and have bandsaw blades on my doorstep Wednesday evening.

I have never had an MSC-supplied blade break at the weld. The Lenox bimetal always start to fail somewhere along the blade not at the weld, in the soft body. I have had blades keep cutting (not for long that is!) when the soft body was cracked clean through, and only the hard tooth section was keeping things together.

6-12 teeth in the cut? Hard to follow that. Sometimes I'm sawing 1/2", sometimes 6".

Regards.

Mike

3 teeth in the cut, minimum, is the # I use.

I buy from eBay, namebrand, look for deals, they're out there. If not, buying 6 at a time from sawblade.com. Their sales force is persistent, to say the least, but if asked explicitly, they will limit their calls to once every 6 months. I've been happy with their blades.

FWIW, I cut mostly smallish, < 4" diameter rounds and structural shapes. What's usually in the horizontal saw is a variable pitch 10-14tpi bimetal. Other blades, coarser and finer, are nice to have around, too.

YM of course MV.

---1 have these new blades in case you might be interested
---I haven't looked at what it would take to box them up
---have no idea on freight
--------------------------------------------------------

3/4” x 93”(7’9’) Bi-metal blades

$ 28ea---two---5/8 TPI (variable tooth count) M42 bi-metal Starrett
$ 28ea---four---5-8 TPI (variable tooth count) bi-metal---believe to be M-42Starrett and/or Lenox RX
$ 28ea---five---- 7 TPI---bi-metal---Lenox RX

I buy Lennox blades from Western Tool in Milwaukee(Oregon). They ship cheap and fast and the prices don't seem bad at all. The only blades I've broken have been 100% my fault.

The biggest thing with cutting alum is removing the chip.

You want to have some good flood coolant, or a good raked blade to make chips removed as fast a possible.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Right here in my home town is a shop that sells top-quality welded band saw blades. I've bought from them for a few years now and I have gotten to know the owners (father and son) and have seen his Swiss-made very high-tech welders. He positively guarantees the welds. I've worn out a lot of blades after long and excellent service but have not broken a weld. One way I can tell the welds are precisely made is that I do not hear them in the cut. What I mean is, for virtually all the other blades I've bought you can hear the regular change in pitch (and sometimes feel a slight hop---that is really bad) as the weld goes through the cut. With these blades I can not hear or feel the weld going through the cut. Just one nice long uninterrupted cut. He stocks several brand-names of blade coils in various tooth and width configurations. His prices are very competitive.

Home - LA Cutting Products

No connection with them other than as a very satisfied customer. I really like buying from someone (Chris) who will talk to you and stands behind his product. No BS.

Denis

Last edited:
Thanks for all of your replies. I will be cutting for production so I stack as many bars as is needed to get a 3-4" width of cut, or whatever the blade likes, so I want a low tooth count. It is so much nicer having an auto bandsaw vs using my Hitachi 10" sliding compound miter saw. It certainly was more than it was made to do.

Thanks for all of your replies. I will be cutting for production so I stack as many bars as is needed to get a 3-4" width of cut, or whatever the blade likes, so I want a low tooth count. It is so much nicer having an auto bandsaw vs using my Hitachi 10" sliding compound miter saw. It certainly was more than it was made to do.

First off thank you (Denis) dgfoster for the shout out!

David,
This is Chris with LA Cutting Products. We specialize in band saw blades. I would recommend going with a 6/10 and if you plan on doing a lot of cutting a 5/8 will be the best bet. You want to have the gullet capacity so the teeth don't fill up to fast causing the blade to dull or strip to fast.

Check out this awesome blade finder tool i developed to help people find the right blade. 93" x 3/4" x .035= 7'-9" 0 fraction x 3/4" x .035
(Blade Finder) Blade Builder - LA Cutting Products

All 7'-9" x 3/4" x .035 Store - LA Cutting Products

Hope this info helps let me know if you have any questions on this.
Chris

This is the only blade I use nowadays, on my 7x12 horizontal:

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/04960555?rItem=04960555

Say what you will about MSC, for me they are the Easy Button. Order on Tuesday and have bandsaw blades on my doorstep Wednesday evening.

I have never had an MSC-supplied blade break at the weld. The Lenox bimetal always start to fail somewhere along the blade not at the weld, in the soft body. I have had blades keep cutting (not for long that is!) when the soft body was cracked clean through, and only the hard tooth section was keeping things together.

6-12 teeth in the cut? Hard to follow that. Sometimes I'm sawing 1/2", sometimes 6".

Regards.

Mike

Mike,
This is Chris with LA Cutting Products So you know we might be able to help you out moving forward. I see MSC is $60 a blade plus shipping for Lenox. We a a certified Lenox Weld Center and so you know we are $30.63 a blade with about $5 shipping and we offer free shipping with Lenox on orders over $100. We Guarantee our welds and talking with our sales team if needed is easy. 877-318-9087

Check out the 7'-9" x 3/4" x .035 Classic Pro Line
Store - LA Cutting Products

Hope this info will help.
Thanks
Chris

I have used these guys over the last few years when buying a half dozen blades at a time.
https://www.bandsawbladesdirect.com/

The Lenox blades have worked well and lasted nicely in my Ellis 1600 with no coolant. I cut steel, aluminum, titanium, wood, etc. A lot of times I cut stainless tubing and roll cage tubing, I have ordered a few 18+tpi blades, but lately I put a 3/4TPI blade in for some 3in aluminum bar and its been in cutting for several months. I just run everything on that blade. Figured tubing would wreck it, but I just slow the feed rate and it keeps on cutting. I'm kinda surprised. Its held up better than my 10/14.

I have used these guys over the last few years when buying a half dozen blades at a time.
https://www.bandsawbladesdirect.com/

The Lenox blades have worked well and lasted nicely in my Ellis 1600 with no coolant. I cut steel, aluminum, titanium, wood, etc. A lot of times I cut stainless tubing and roll cage tubing, I have ordered a few 18+tpi blades, but lately I put a 3/4TPI blade in for some 3in aluminum bar and its been in cutting for several months. I just run everything on that blade. Figured tubing would wreck it, but I just slow the feed rate and it keeps on cutting. I'm kinda surprised. Its held up better than my 10/14.

Good afternoon Brett

If you ever end up shopping around for blades check us out. We are a small family business and guarantee our welds. We make every blade to order here, and we also have many brands in stock. Our turnaround times are Next business day as well. our price $40.56
120" x 1" x .035 Store - LA Cutting Products

If you have any questions or concerns our support is here 877-318-9087

Thanks
Chris

Chris I was looking through your site and have saved it for my future use. The only difference for the most part is the shipping distance. The other guys are in MI and I am in AL. I think the only further ya'll could be would be Alaska. (Hawaii doesn't count, LOL). Everything else seems like a good place to buy blades.

Brett,
We offer a wide range of shipping methods and also free shipping on a lot of our products. I know we are far but we make up on turnaround time prices and quality. Let me know if you need any help finding product

Thanks
Chris

I've never worn out a 93" blade on the generic chinese saw. The blades fatigue and crack long before you can wear them out. I have blades that have broken, and had cracks in multiple areas along their length, and teeth have been still sharp.

I've found the McM blade 4179A734 works (long life 10-14T) for all applications. Maybe expensive, but as I'm at McM couple of times a week I'd rather get it there then waste time setting up an account at another suppliere etc etc.

I don't waste time trying to match the blade pitch to the material thickness etc. Material in the saw, turn it on, walk away. rinse repeat.

Back