What's new
What's new

Best place to buy welded band saw blades, and what for aluminum solids?

I've never worn out a 93" blade on the generic chinese saw. The blades fatigue and crack long before you can wear them out. I have blades that have broken, and had cracks in multiple areas along their length, and teeth have been still sharp.

I've found the McM blade 4179A734 works (long life 10-14T) for all applications. Maybe expensive, but as I'm at McM couple of times a week I'd rather get it there then waste time setting up an account at another suppliere etc etc.

I don't waste time trying to match the blade pitch to the material thickness etc. Material in the saw, turn it on, walk away. rinse repeat.

How many parts a year do you cut up? I'm around 30,000 for last year and hoping to significantly increase it this year so getting the right/faster blade should be worthwhile.

Chris, while you're here would the QXP be any better than the Classic/Classic Pro for 6061 bar? I have a Tormach AF50 with a 1hp motor so the free-er cutting the better. My aluminum blades will only cut aluminum, if I need to cut steel I will swap them out.

David,

Unfortunately the QXP line is only available in 1” or a 3/4”x 4/6 LXP. I would recommend going with a 5/8 on the aluminum or the 4/6 in the classic pro. The 4/6 classic pro will work but the lxp is designed for ferrous steels. If its 1”+ aluminum we get a 3 tpi in Roentgon that will go right through like butter.

Hope that helps
Let me know if you have any other questions

Chris

David,

Unfortunately the QXP line is only available in 1” or a 3/4”x 4/6 LXP. I would recommend going with a 5/8 on the aluminum or the 4/6 in the classic pro. The 4/6 classic pro will work but the lxp is designed for ferrous steels. If its 1”+ aluminum we get a 3 tpi in Roentgon that will go right through like butter.

Hope that helps
Let me know if you have any other questions

Chris

I am still learning how to use the saw, I have only cut up 550lbs, but I think I will be predominantly cutting up 3"- 4" wide stock.

How many parts a year do you cut up? I'm around 30,000 for last year and hoping to significantly increase it this year so getting the right/faster blade should be worthwhile.

2-5k per year. I do prototype and very short run production.

Back