What's new
What's new

Best rust removal method for scales?

guythatbrews

Titanium
What is the best way to remove shameful rust staining from a scale? I've used steel wool and this is as good as i can do. No obvious pitting.

20221106_120048.jpg

I've got some evaporust on the way. Thanks! Hopefully it won't mess up the engraving fill, but if it does I'll just refill.

I have used a hard rubber backing block and 220 grit wet or dry paper.

Pay attention that you do not roll over the edges, and of course, do not scrub so as to remove the markings. Lengthwise motions only.

It leaves a finish pretty close to the original grain of the metal.

Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid. A white powder that dissolves into water. Safe enough to eat and some do eat it for supposed health benefits of being a antioxidant. It is the primary ingredient of Evaporust, and much cheaper. One ounce will neutralize one ounce of rust. Deos not harm paint wood, aluminum, paper or plastic. Does not cause hydrogen embrittlement unlike electrolysis. Will not go beyond what is needed regardless of soak time.
Works faster at higher temperatures. I have no idea what happens if it freezes, probably nothing?
Bill D

Last edited:
The evaporust worked a charm. 1 hour soak and it didn't harm the engraving fill. Not perfect but close and about 0 time and elbow grease expended. Thanks!

Back