What's new
What's new

Best small precision cylindrical grinder?

87Side650.jpg

This bike won the last AMA Superbike race, won by a BMW, Louden, new hampshire in 1977 with Harry Klinzman as the pilot.

Right side up, rubber side down

----------------------------------------------

Last edited:
triumph406... those look very dangerous.
My roommate in the 70's called them 2 wheeled coffins. He did not have that speed gene.
All that aside... WOW , oh-my and I want to go beat on them hard.
Makes me wish I was young and could ride either to it's far edge.
Now I am just a go slow old man. The reflexes, balance and feel are so gone....It really, really sucks getting old.
Bob

Last edited:
Now I am just a go slow old man. The reflexes, balance and feel are so gone....It really, really sucks getting old.

You may be faster. I bet I'd be quicker now than at twenty - more focus on smooth, less on acrobatics and saving it. Smooth is actually quicker.

Altho now I'd much prefer a 350 single, like a CRTT, on a medium windy road than absolute top-end. Even a two-stroke twin is too much, falling down now wouldn't be an adventure, it'd be a giant ouch !

So having fun at 35 going through the forest, that's still good :)

(I once had Phil Irving's red-haired wife screaming from the back seat "STOP ! I'm getting out ! we're all going to die !" ... that was kind of a highlight :D)

triumph406... those look very dangerous.
My roommate in the 70's called them 2 wheeled coffins. He did not have that speed gene.
All that aside... WOW , oh-my and I want to go beat on them hard.
Makes me wish I was young and could ride either to it's far edge.
Bob

I rode maybe 100k miles in the UK before I ever got a car, rode on the edge all the time, had a few major 'offs, never once considered slowing down.

Here on SoCal freeways, I'm almost petrified, the car drives just don't see you, it's not until I get up into the local mountain roads (Baldy,Big Bear, Glendora) etc that I relax.

Problem now is I don't heal. fell on my shoulder dirt bike riding 20 years ago, it still isn't right. 40 years ago I would have been playing billiards the next day.

My prefernce now is off-road trail riding, dual sport in particular. Fun, safe as you want to make it, and get's you out and about

I picked up a brand new "China junk" cylindrical for Mike Simard of alt machines twenty years ago, 15k if I remember and he was happy as a clam for years and years. It would appear that you do not know whereof you speak.
Wouldn't that make it "China quality" not "China junk"? The trick is knowing ahead of time which it is, which is a little harder from this side of the Pacific and not speaking the language.

I had a subscription when he was doing those... Crazy reads! I've read a few sort-of imitators over the years, but nobody was quite his level of gonzo!

Quite likely nobody will ever come close to his level of gonzo. And if they did, well he was the first.

(unless there was some ancient Greek predecessor who was full on gonzo 2000 years ago)

For a few-up Od grinder, I like to be able to use both ends on the wheel head for mounting a wheel, have wheel RPM choices, able to use lower-priced wheels like 8"+ 7" x 1 1/4", have work head speeds, have wheel head rotation, have manual and power long travel with various speeds, have long travel stops* for left and right. have cross travel stop and pick feed*.
Landis, Parker, Arter, Covel , Brown & Sharpe, Norton are some old iron names, but some only have expensive wheels.

Condition is king, available parts and wheel mounts common, needed accessories common and available.

Perhaps with work head, tail stock, 4 jaw chuck, and collets ability for the work head, dog driver for the work head(one that can accommodate live and dead center is best)

*Pick feed is Fine feed by small increments.
*long travel stops, good if they are adjustable or one can use removing shims for adjusting.

One can look at The Brown & sharp 13 grinder handbook at Vintage Machine and consider all the accessories to think about what may be needed for one-up OD grinding. A little large machine may help get both ends of a maximum part...so an 8x20" machine may be better.

QT Alf: Mine also had the swing-down ID spindle...another to consider.

Last edited:
I have been asked to locate a small good quality cylindrical grinder. Biggest parts it will see are 12" max length and 4" max diameter. No China junk and it does not have to be new. We are tired of sending out a part and waiting weeks to get it back. If Taft-Pierce had ever made a cylindrical grinder that is what I would probably want. But they did not so what are my options? What brands should I be looking for? It will be used for prototype work, not production..

And no, I don't want to use a tool post grinder. I have heard of attachments for surface grinders to turn them in to a cylindrical grinder but that does not sound like a good option either. I have a B&S surface grinder.

So what is the best, small cylindrical grinder ever made?
I have just had a look at an original Myford sales brochure I have and the MG 12 has a maximum grinding diameter of 3" and 12" between centres. For this reason, I went for a Jones and Shipman 1311, which has a max diameter of 10" and 18" between centres. Lovely little machine.

I have just had a look at an original Myford sales brochure I have and the MG 12 has a maximum grinding diameter of 3" and 12" between centres. For this reason, I went for a Jones and Shipman 1311, which has a max diameter of 10" and 18" between centres. Lovely little machine.

So good you posted twice. Anything “ Jones & Shipman “ did will be fine. They made them in the thousands. Spares shouldn’t be too hard to get. “ AndMar “ and “ Jubilee Machine Tools “ used to deal in spares and as far as I know “ J&S “ are still in business.

Edit “ DF Precision Machinery “ are the latest owners of “ J&S “ apparently.

Regards tyrone.

So good you posted twice. Anything “ Jones & Shipman “ did will be fine. They made them in the thousands. Spares shouldn’t be too hard to get. “ AndMar “ and “ Jubilee Machine Tools “ used to deal in spares and as far as I know “ J&S “ are still in business.

Edit “ DF Precision Machinery “ are the latest owners of “ J&S “ apparently.

Regards tyrone.
Leave me alone Tyrone, I'm on the cold side of the Pennines and my brain was cold!

OT:
In trade school I had the darndest time with our cylindrical grinder, I could grind a part that measured good to the limits of our measuring tools but turning the part around on centers the grind would not exactly match.
Now being more experienced I figure the head or tail center had a tad of run out.
I can't remember if we had a live or dead center in the tail..or if anybody had ground the headstock center in place.
Many brand new live centers have way too much run-out, and the way they are made even grinding in place won't make the good.

Last edited:
OT:
In trade school I had the darndest time with our cylindrical grinder, I could grind a part that measured good to the limits of our measuring tools but turning the part around on centers the grind would not exactly match.
Now being more experienced I figure the head or tail center had a tad of run out.
I can't remember if we had a live or dead center in the tail..or if anybody had ground the headstock center in place.
Many brand new live centers have way too much run-out, and the way they are made even grinding in place won't make the good
Solid centres in good condition in both the head and tailstocks are one of the first things needed to get good results. The headstock centre should be stationary so it eliminates any errors from the headstock bearings.

Want to humble a od grinder hand, and make him really PO'd at you? Put centers in a piece of cold rolled round stock, but put the centers .oo4 off center, and make sure the offsets are near 180 degrees out. Now tell the grinder the shaft is .010 oversize and there is just enough meat to salvage if he is careful. The damn thing will twist like a pretzel with every pass and never straighten out.

Back