What's new
What's new

Best small precision cylindrical grinder?

Want to humble a od grinder hand, and make him really PO'd at you? Put centers in a piece of cold rolled round stock, but put the centers .oo4 off center, and make sure the offsets are near 180 degrees out. Now tell the grinder the shaft is .010 oversize and there is just enough meat to salvage if he is careful. The damn thing will twist like a pretzel with every pass and never straighten out.

Ah. But what if he knows you are trying to trick him and runs the shaft over to the ex-cell-o or j&l center grinder first ?

nanner nanner you meanie :D

Want to humble a od grinder hand, and make him really PO'd at you? Put centers in a piece of cold rolled round stock, but put the centers .oo4 off center, and make sure the offsets are near 180 degrees out. Now tell the grinder the shaft is .010 oversize and there is just enough meat to salvage if he is careful. The damn thing will twist like a pretzel with every pass and never straighten out.

Probably end up with it wrapped around your head, haha.

I had a similar one where someone rolled a ~20" diameter ring from ½" plate, welded it onto a 4" shaft with ½" endplates and wanted the OD cleaned up round. I couldn't do it. Tried over and over. By the time I got the turned surface 4"-6" down the part, the length that I had just turned was running out. Every time. Told them to try again with stress relief. Even then I'm not sure it would have worked.

Back