What's new
What's new

Best Tool For Roughing Titanium?

We have a long standing order for an aircraft part where we remove approximately 75% of the material with (2) 1/2" diameter endmills. Material is 6al4v. Im averaging about 20pcs per tool utilizing dynamic tool paths around the profile.
This job was running when I got here, and the person that started the project is no longer here so Ive been working my way through some of the issues in the process. At this point Ive tried a few different tools and manufacturers but so far, am have the most success with my 5flute reg length and 6 flute stub Titan brand endmills(what an unfortunate brand name). Ive thought about trying to rough the profile with an insert tool but my exploratory toolpaths show a much greater cycle time and even if I use a larger diameter insert tool, ill still need to come back in with the 1/2" tool to clean out the smaller rads.

Curious, who is making the best endmills for milling titanium and in which configuration? mainly looing for tool life improvements.

Currently running about 350ish SFM and .0067chipload. 6% radial DOC on an OKK Horizontal

Thanks In Advance. :cheers:

We are machining these parts in our 5axis fanuc robodrill and our rep from Dataflute had us try the SSI-7 end mill and last I checked we were well over 100 parts and still going. It's a 1/2 end mill with a 1-1/2 l.oc. and it's performing much better than the one we were using before which I don't quite remember what it was. It's a serrated end mill but we're using it to rough and finish. I can find out exactly whatthe cutting conditions are tomorrow. We have used Garr and Helical and these Dataflutes are phenomenal.

I've been using an OSG HP400-1968 (5mm) to rough out a slot in TI 6AL4V with some good high pressure application. The slot is .228W x .5L x .400D so it isn't doing a TON of work, but when I broke this setup down after 5500 pieces (plus another few dozen setup/scrap parts) I was quite surprised with how the tool looked. Cutting edges were sharp, even though the coating had taken a beating. They have a variety in 1/2" as well.

This is in a Swiss machine (Citizen D25) with oil for coolant.

Using oil.....well thats sort of like cheating isnt it? ;)

Currently talking to a rep from Fraisa for similar situations. Supposedly they have a tool that will ramp at 10*. I'm waiting to get some tools to try out, but I've been really happy with the Helical 6fl Ti stuff.

Keep us posted on how you do with Fraisa

I don't do titanium, but the people I know that do mostly like Helical. They're local though, so that may factor into it.

If we are not talking about heat treated material, the parameters seem kinda light. My go to numbers for this material are as follows
10% radial, .010 fpt and 400 sfm.
Im sure this is light by your standards! how the Heck are ya? Are you still grinding cutters? Still have one of your tools in my box from years ago...I think of it more as a relic.

I think I had it at 28-30 rockwell C. Not terribly hard anyway

Tools are rated time in cut. I would stay with your feed per tooth and sfm and start increasing the radial 1% at a time. See how the tool/setup/part handles it. I've found that the chip breaker tools (No matter what brand / what design) all have a negative result in tool life. Sometimes you need to break chips just for clearance or for chip management but on a horizontal I would avoid them. The flute behind the chip breaker wears out faster and you get weird wear. I've tried them from 5 different MFG and all wear the same.

I've also found that a 4-5 flute is kind of a sweet spot in medium - larger tapers. I would work up to a 10% radial and see how it does. We recently were running a 316 Stainless job that started out as 7% radial and ended up at 15%. Cycle time down and the tool lasted the same amount of cut time but it removed double the material. We were testing the HARVI 1TE on this job. 3/4 full depth 1.625 15% radial. The tool actually handled a 25% radial no problem but it was too aggressive to run without anyone monitoring.(Gotta love this 12k HSK100 spindle) Our normal GOTO brand is Destiny. Tools perform well and good stocking

Im sure this is light by your standards! how the Heck are ya? Are you still grinding cutters? Still have one of your tools in my box from years ago...I think of it more as a relic.

I think I had it at 28-30 rockwell C. Not terribly hard anyway
I'm still alive and grinding. I have been trying to get on at Blue Origin. If you have a good stable set up, try old school milling. 70% to 90% radial, full depth and blast the chips out. Like aluminum, titanium loves to stick to itself. For parameters 1575 rpm and 18 ipm.

Tools are rated time in cut. I would stay with your feed per tooth and sfm and start increasing the radial 1% at a time. See how the tool/setup/part handles it. I've found that the chip breaker tools (No matter what brand / what design) all have a negative result in tool life. Sometimes you need to break chips just for clearance or for chip management but on a horizontal I would avoid them. The flute behind the chip breaker wears out faster and you get weird wear. I've tried them from 5 different MFG and all wear the same.

I've also found that a 4-5 flute is kind of a sweet spot in medium - larger tapers. I would work up to a 10% radial and see how it does. We recently were running a 316 Stainless job that started out as 7% radial and ended up at 15%. Cycle time down and the tool lasted the same amount of cut time but it removed double the material. We were testing the HARVI 1TE on this job. 3/4 full depth 1.625 15% radial. The tool actually handled a 25% radial no problem but it was too aggressive to run without anyone monitoring.(Gotta love this 12k HSK100 spindle) Our normal GOTO brand is Destiny. Tools perform well and good stocking
Ill talk to our Kennametal guy and see what he has to say about it. Thanks for the input- im gnna shoot you a text later.

I'm still alive and grinding. I have been trying to get on at Blue Origin. If you have a good stable set up, try old school milling. 70% to 90% radial, full depth and blast the chips out. Like aluminum, titanium loves to stick to itself. For parameters 1575 rpm and 18 ipm.
If I had to pick up and move somewhere, I think Id be headed your way. A lot of cool stuff down near huntsville IMO, and it looks like nice country.

Ill talk to our Kennametal guy and see what he has to say about it. Thanks for the input- im gnna shoot you a text later.
You working with Chris or Brandon? Either way, both great guys! I've known Chris for years! He was my second Kennametal guy when I was working out in Rochester a decade or so ago.

See if they can get you a 5 or 6 flute in the new High Temp endmill grade to try (new, will be released next month, there are some in stock). I just implemented one in 718 Inconel and it is lasting at least double the # of parts in a finishing operation with far fewer comps through the life of the tool than before, only thing we changed was the grade. The targeted material for that new grade is Titanium, and from what I hear from field testing it's typically a drastic improvement in life or performance over previous grades.

You working with Chris or Brandon? Either way, both great guys! I've known Chris for years! He was my second Kennametal guy when I was working out in Rochester a decade or so ago.

See if they can get you a 5 or 6 flute in the new High Temp endmill grade to try (new, will be released next month, there are some in stock). I just implemented one in 718 Inconel and it is lasting at least double the # of parts in a finishing operation with far fewer comps through the life of the tool than before, only thing we changed was the grade. The targeted material for that new grade is Titanium, and from what I hear from field testing it's typically a drastic improvement in life or performance over previous grades.
Chris actually used to play in a band with my dad. Brandon and I worked together right before he started at Ken. I will be talking to Chris before we start in on our next PO for this project.

Back