What's new
What's new

Best way to mill 13" hole 6.5" deep in 4140

My point was the machine he wants too use is to small to do the job in a profitable manner, and whats the point if you do not have a gain, just sub it out to a shop that has open time and the right machine , or better yet buy a lathe and have it for next time if it has to be done in house...Phil

Guy shows up an hour and a half late to the party and is wondering why the keg is already tapped...

My point was the machine he wants too use is to small to do the job in a profitable manner, and whats the point if you do not have a gain, just sub it out to a shop that has open time and the right machine , or better yet buy a lathe and have it for next time if it has to be done in house...Phil

And how many weeks or months would that take? Sometimes you just gotta git'er done.

On some deep ph17-4 parts I helical interpolated a Walter feed mill down 3.5". It would make chips faster than the through spindle air could get out. I used a Toro electric leaf blower to blow the chips out. Worked like a charm.

On some deep ph17-4 parts I helical interpolated a Walter feed mill down 3.5". It would make chips faster than the through spindle air could get out. I used a Toro electric leaf blower to blow the chips out. Worked like a charm.

I love this idea. I might bring mine in next time.

I have thru-spindle air but sometimes it's not enough on deeper pockets like this, or with heavy chips. I've found an external air line rigged up to a mag base has helped enough to get the chips out. Got that suggestion from somebody here actually. Worked well enough.

Back