What's new
What's new

Biax 7 ELC

gaminn

Plastic
Hi, recently I acquired Biax 7 ELC. It cost me 400 USD and I think it is in very good shape.

I had no luck when I searched for user or service manual for this unit, is there any? Also when searching for Biax model 7 ELC, there are no results for this particular model. Does anyone know specifications for 7 ELC and how it differs from e.g. 7 ELM?

Is there anything to watch out for during use and servicing this scraper? Previous owner told me that the scraper sat in a shelf all the time and that it was used maybe once or twice. Should I do any maintenance to it before using it (clean it and reapply grease maybe)?

Attachments

• IMG_20220826_102730.jpg
    IMG_20220826_102730.jpg
    400.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20220826_102736.jpg
    IMG_20220826_102736.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20220826_102750.jpg
    IMG_20220826_102750.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20220826_102755.jpg
    IMG_20220826_102755.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20220826_102802.jpg
    IMG_20220826_102802.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20220826_102943.jpg
    IMG_20220826_102943.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 39
Are you in a 220 volt country? The model number may refer to the voltage specs. It certainly does look little used, "Made in West Germany" is always a fun way to narrow down a tools age. There's unlikely much wrong in there, old grease is not as effective a lubricant, but it shouldn't cause any short term issues while you are testing it. The power filtering capacitor in the motor section may not have aged well, and if you have the skills to test, remove or replace it, you may save yourself a little smoky surprise.

When you start it up and run it for the first time, just run it for a minute or so and see after a bit if there are any hot spots that propagate around the gear train. Shut it down if is stutters, varies speed or makes any kind of grinding or squealing sounds. Then progressively run it over longer and longer periods, allowing time between runs for heat soaking to move the old grease around and possibly show you abnormal friction. Ideally you will want to repack it with fresh grease and inspect the bearings for damage, but opening up the gear train is risky if you don't have good skills and full understanding of what is in there.

OK, thanks. It seems to me that the scraper runs normally, altough I have never had a chance to run any other for comparison. I think my scraper was stored in some hot place because it was all sticky when I got it, probably caused by the grease that leaked out. I'm still unsure at the moment whether I should disassemble the scraper or not to grease it. Maybe I will just open the casing to assess its condition further. I'm used to repair my power tools but if the gear train of this scraper is somehow complex I would rather not touch it. I remember there is some guy who disassembled his biax and put it on youtube, so I guess it is good idea to see the video.

Yes, I'm from Europe. I think the scraper was made in 1980s.

OK, thanks. It seems to me that the scraper runs normally, altough I have never had a chance to run any other for comparison. I think my scraper was stored in some hot place because it was all sticky when I got it, probably caused by the grease that leaked out. I'm still unsure at the moment whether I should disassemble the scraper or not to grease it. Maybe I will just open the casing to assess its condition further. I'm used to repair my power tools but if the gear train of this scraper is somehow complex I would rather not touch it. I remember there is some guy who disassembled his biax and put it on youtube, so I guess it is good idea to see the video.

Yes, I'm from Europe. I think the scraper was made in 1980s.
It is a fairly complex drivetrain, the teardown videos out there may be helpful, but they are not done by a Biax trained service technician that would be aware of potential pitfalls that were missed by the creator. Not saying there are any, but that's the point, we don't really know. My experience with quality tools is that they don't skimp on the amount of grease from the factory. As crude as it may be, forcing fresh grease in (through the existing adjustment port?) without opening it up would seem like the safest choice and would better preserve the value. It really looks like it has had very little use, you haven't identified any abnormalities, so there isn't a lot of reason to disassemble it. If any of the bearings are bad, opening it at this point isn't going to make a difference, sound and heat will tell you everything you need to know I think.

That does look clean for a very old machine, typically the issues are with wear on the sliding parts but I think the story about it sitting on the shelf might be true. I would be a bit concerned the motor windings will go bad just from age. If that happens I would adapt a new variable speed motor section to it rather than having it rewound. Just make sure everything is well oiled (grease the drive pinion) and go for it, you can't really hurt anything that can't be fixed :)

Luke

Last edited:
First off I am the USA BIAX or DAPRA lead Instructor and used to be that European BIAX Instructor. I taught "how to scrape" classes inside the German BIAX Factory and in Austria. I still teach classes here in the USA. The scraper looks like it has never been used as the last photo shows the wear plate that the blade holder runs against and there are no marks. That color of scraper was only sold in Europe as the white scraper was never sold in the USA. It is 220 volt one speed and I would bet the plug end is European. You can hook it to a Variable speed rheostat. One thing that is odd is the carrying box is green. The box that came with that model was blue, unless it was during a transit time when the went from blue to green. I am assuming the fellow you bought it from had some other scrapers and put yours inside a newer box. The motor for the new models used a Metabo motor that was Variable speed. Yours uses a Bosch motor. The BIAX models like that last will last 30 plus years of use, so if you are a hobbyist you can use it until the day you die. You should contact https://www.biax-germany.com/en/produkte.php?category=schaber and write to [email protected] who is the sales director of BIAX and ask him id he can supply you with a manual for the machine. Mention I told you to ask him. If he doesn't write to Ed Dyjak the only Factory repair station left outside DAPRA here in the USA. Our mechanics of the 120 volt models are the same as your 220 v model accept for the voltage. Parts for those old machines are obsolete and it's unlikely you will find any. Ed may have a operators / parts manual - also please tell him I said hello. He and I have been friends for over 40 years. "E.S. Dyjak Co., Inc." [email protected]. You may want to carefully take apart the top 1/2 and clean and re-grease the machine. The bearings in the back were sealed and the grease is probably hard. Ask Ed what he would do. Also the 2 brothers who still teach my classes in Austria may have some part machines who can help you too.
Stefan and Franz Lüftinger
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
DI(FH) Stefan Lüftinger

[email protected]]
MASCHRATUR OG
+43 (0) 660 1213199
Gschwandterstr. 14
4663 Laakirchen
UID Nr.: AT U66941125

Good Luck, Rich

Last edited:
Hello Richard,
definitely no need to introduce yourself :) Thank you very much for your detailed reply, a lot of useful information for me and valuable contacts.

Yes, the scraper has our standard central European/German plug end.

I think the box the scraper comes in is original without any doubts. If you look at the pictures I posted you can see a plate/sticker on the scraper and on the box with "Nr." or "Masch. No." (which I think is serial number) both displaying number 7007.

Back