What's new
What's new

Bidspotter auctions - How To?

"Chinese peanut butter steel ."
The only good thing this is useful for is to blacksmiths. That is because it is so soft and it is really nice to forge decorative items.
Steel bars from king metals and the like are softer than "real" steel also. I learned this by forging on some scrap cut offs from a railing I made years ago. Now it is rare for Chinese peanut butter steel to come into the shop.

ornamental railings should be wrought iron......steel rusts away,the iron lasts for centuries..........you sometimes see poor quality repairs of old railings,the steel used rusts away very rapidly ,and the wet rust somtimes takes the proper iron with it.

A lot of the auctions ask you what your projected spend is. I like to put $10 in that field. I don't know what they use that field for, but I have to think it has something to do with putting your bidder number on a shortlist hanging in front of the shill's face if you tell them a big amount. I mean if I tell you $10, but I then end up spending $50k are they going to say no?

Mine says $1
I'm a lot cheaper than you!

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I'm getting allot of flack from an Auctioneer on Bid Spotter for entering $1 in the projected spend column? I'm going back and forth with him. He claims that establishes my credit limit :icon_bs:, doesn't know what I think I can get for $1 :ROFLMAO:. We'll see If he approves me or not. More tomorrow about that.

Reactions: Ox
I'm getting allot of flack from an Auctioneer on Bid Spotter for entering $1 in the projected spend column? I'm going back and forth with him. He claims that establishes my credit limit :icon_bs:, doesn't know what I think I can get for $1 :ROFLMAO:. We'll see If he approves me or not. More tomorrow about that.
Credit limit for what? The 48 hours that they give you to pay?

Here's his first e-mail to me.

Thanks for registering. We take the information provided by registrants seriously. Your projected spend is really a credit limit. I don’t know what you expect to get for $1. Not sure if this is a joke. But, unlikely you get approved for $1.

Thank you.

Understand that this is not Bidspotter, this is a certain auctioneer, BUT ALSO very well may be a certain auction.

There was one auction recently that they wanted me to sign (?) some other thing ... or sumpthing, above and beyond "normal" and I just told them that I wasn't interested in playing along, and thus - I didn't participate in that auction.

But I don't think that _ that same auction house asks that about all auctions, so it must have been sumpthing to doo with their client that one time?

I am registered for an upcoming auction that if I buy anything, it will be way more than we will be puting on a credit card anyhow. I am registered at $1. Although I am not expecting to be the high bidder. Last time one of these came around, it went way higher than I was willing to pay for a 15 yr old machine, so ...

I keep waiting for this big crash to happen...

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I just put in $200 every time. It has nothing to do with what I spend or am allowed to spend. Sometimes I win nothing, other times I spend $5k (though that one = very mad wife for a short while)

Understand that this is not Bidspotter, this is a certain auctioneer, BUT ALSO very well may be a certain auction.

There was one auction recently that they wanted me to sign (?) some other thing ... or sumpthing, above and beyond "normal" and I just told them that I wasn't interested in playing along, and thus - I didn't participate in that auction.

But I don't think that _ that same auction house asks that about all auctions, so it must have been sumpthing to doo with their client that one time?

I am registered for an upcoming auction that if I buy anything, it will be way more than we will be puting on a credit card anyhow. I am registered at $1. Although I am not expecting to be the high bidder. Last time one of these came around, it went way higher than I was willing to pay for a 15 yr old machine, so ...

I keep waiting for this big crash to happen...

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
I do get that It's a particular Auctioneer and not Bid Spotter really. I should have maybe worded that different just to clarify.

Here's his first e-mail to me.

Thanks for registering. We take the information provided by registrants seriously. Your projected spend is really a credit limit. I don’t know what you expect to get for $1. Not sure if this is a joke. But, unlikely you get approved for $1.

Thank you.
If I put myself in the shoes of the auctioneer, I see a difficult bidder who, if they're arguing over disclosing even a lowball spending limit, they're going to argue over bidding, paying, and loadout, too. Maybe no thanks.

So, we should fill in $1M each time?

Seriously - doo most folks go to an auction anticipating spending X amount?
Unless it is more about spending $ rather than buying equipment that you could use for [you feel is] a decent price.

???

I understand that it can be problematic if a bidder doesn't pay, but they still have the equipment, they just need to add it to some other upcoming auction. Yes, it can be a problem, and it does happen, but not often, and by going through Bidspotter, you would already know if this person had done that before. I would imagine that Bidspotter would likely reject the bidder from further use? Or at least have a flag on their account.

They have your C/C info there already.

Of course there is the issue of someone bidding more than they can simply write a check for, and they are expecting that they will be able to get the $ quickly from another source, and then that doesn't work out for them, then what?

I git that....

But, are they gunna check everyone's bank accounts and how much they can git at the Cash Advance store uptown? There has to be an element of trust there for it to work smoothly.

We have this fella OK'd at the $40K that he said that he expected to spend:

A) Are they gunna quit accepting your bid at that point, or are they gunna let you keep bidding?
Especially if there are only 2 of you running it up?

B) 6 different guys were hoping to pick up that one machine over there, and they each thought that they'd run it up to $50K, and one guy got the 50K bid, and the other 5 backed off. 3 of which never actually got a bid in, but would have - had the bidding slowed or stopped prior to $50K.

"Well so many of these guys that said that they were looking to spend all this money, and they didn't buy ANYTHING!" ???

C) This guy has $50K listed, and this machine that he is bidding on has stopped at $30K, but we think that it is worth much more than that, so now we may shill him up at least another $10G.

You can witness shilling very much so on live/online, when the auctioneer has to stop, and they back up 6 bids before they can say that "THIS guy had the bid at THIS for sure" and then they start back up.

Can't really tell anything like that on the timed sales.

---------------------

I am Ox and I approve this post!

Last edited:
Kinda been through that is well. It is to establish if you have the funds or just dreaming because you are a cheap a$$. However I have noticed some shady things even in the last year or two on auction sites. One I will state publicly is that now during bidding , you cannot see "who" bid. There is no bidder numbers or anything, just that a bid was placed.

So, we should fill in $1M each time?

Seriously - doo most folks go to an auction anticipating spending X amount?
Unless it is more about spending $ rather than buying equipment that you could use for [you feel is] a decent price.

???

I understand that it can be problematic if a bidder doesn't pay, but they still have the equipment, they just need to add it to some other upcoming auction. Yes, it can be a problem, and it does happen, but not often, and by going through Bidspotter, you would already know if this person had done that before. I would imagine that Bidspotter would likely reject the bidder from further use? Or at least have a flag on their account.

They have your C/C info there already.

Of course there is the issue of someone bidding more than they can simply write a check for, and they are expecting that they will be able to get the $ quickly from another source, and then that doesn't work out for them, then what?

I git that....

But, are they gunna check everyone's bank accounts and how much they can git at the Cash Advance store uptown? There has to be an element of trust there for it to work smoothly.

We have this fella OK'd at the $40K that he said that he expected to spend:

A) Are they gunna quit accepting your bid at that point, or are they gunna let you keep bidding?
Especially if there are only 2 of you running it up?

B) 6 different guys were hoping to pick up that one machine over there, and they each thought that they'd run it up to $50K, and one guy got the 50K bid, and the other 5 backed off. 3 of which never actually got a bid in, but would have - had the bidding slowed or stopped prior to $50K.

"Well so many of these guys that said that they were looking to spend all this money, and they didn't buy ANYTHING!" ???

C) This guy has $50K listed, and this machine that he is bidding on has stopped at $30K, but we think that it is worth much more than that, so now we may shill him up at least another $10G.

You can witness shilling very much so on live/online, when the auctioneer has to stop, and they back up 6 bids before they can say that "THIS guy had the bid at THIS for sure" and then they start back up.

Can't really tell anything like that on the timed sales.

---------------------

Since you brought up Credit Card Info here is his response to my telling him my past record and credit card limit speaks for Itself. And yes I do have a prior record before anyone asks that. I have purchased over $20,000 worth of Items from another Auction on BidSpotter. No Hitches, no complaints. No BS

We do not have access to your credit card information or your credit limit

So apparently he has no clue what my buying power Is. But I can fill In a box and set my own Credit Limit. That he trusts.

So then, what good does you telling him $20K doo?
Apparently he's not running your card then....

If you wunna run Machine 123 up to $80K, are you likely paying for that on plastic?
Most times they have a limit - like maybe $3000 that you can put on plastic, and above that, they want a bank transfer anyhow.
Would they expect you to have an $80K limit on your card?
I don't. (I hope not at least!)
They don't wunna haf'ta eat 3% of $80K!

--------------------

So then, what good does you telling him $20K?
Apparently he's not running your card then....

--------------------

Apparently not. IMO It doesn't matter what I put. That's the point. He's not checking what I might be capable of spending anyway. How many people actually pay with a Card? I paid via bank wire transfer last time. So he wouldn't have a clue what I had In the bank anyway.

Reactions: Ox
I will add one more thing for now. I'm pretty sure he is not going to approve me to bid. He still hasn't so I'm pretty sure he Isn't going to.

Also I signed up to Bid three different auctions. I put 1$ projected to spend on two. One being the one we're discussing. The other one hasn't responded at all, but hasn't approved me either.

I put $20,000 on the third and was approved In less than 30 min.

Actually, I forgot about sumpthing that happened recently. (6 months?)

IDK if it was an auction, or what? But apparently someone ran my card for a future porpoise, and for whatever reason - the sale did not happen, and they sent me a credit cancel memmo. (transaction # sorts thing)

I understand that someone could check to see if you have X amount of available credit today, but I did NOT realize that they could actually put a hold on that amount as well. That's a little scary... Kind'a like the scared that I got the first time someone sent me a bug in an e-mail that put a meeting time stamp on the calendar in my putor! :eek:

WHOA! Someone else can doo that?
And it's OK?

Not sure how comfy I feel about that yet, and that was several years ago.
And I don't even use that feature anyhow!

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
Actually, I forgot about sumpthing that happened recently. (6 months?)

IDK if it was an auction, or what? But apparently someone ran my card for a future porpoise, and for whatever reason - the sale did not happen, and they sent me a credit cancel memmo. (transaction # sorts thing)

I understand that someone could check to see if you have X amount of available credit today, but I did NOT realize that they could actually put a hold on that amount as well. That's a little scary... Kind'a like the scared that I got the first time someone sent me a bug in an e-mail that put a meeting time stamp on the calendar in my putor! :eek:

WHO! Someone else can doo that?
And it's OK?

Not sure how comfy I feel about that yet, and that was several years ago.
And I don't even use that feature anyhow!

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
WTH! I have had them run my card like that, but not put the amount on hold that I know of? Wouldn't putting that on hold affect your credit limit then? Say they had X amount on hold. And you went to make a purchase on the card that now exceeded your limit because of what they had on hold!!! And you had no Idea! That's BS

Well, I'm guessing that is the actual idea?

So, you had that much available last week, but since then you have put a $10K steel purchase on it, and now you don't have enough to float that other item as well, although it checked good for them at the time.

I git it - but I don't like it.....

But the fact that there has been instances that have brought about this need - is more what we should be upset with I s'pose.

I sorta expect that this has been going on in the past and I jist didn't know it?
Or maybe the "hold" feature is new?
IDK...

I don't remember who/what it was that this happened with...

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back