What's new
What's new

Bleak future for Yellow Freight?

My LTL driver had told me that freight had been down - last time we talked about it.
So, this may have come at a good time - if such a thing exists...

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I was driving today with a buddy and we were talking about the Yellow drama, he told me that he heard news stories say that in addition to the 30,000 employees (22k teamsters) there were 70,000 "contract workers"
has anyone else heard anything similar or have "proof" of some kind?

I was driving today with a buddy and we were talking about the Yellow drama, he told me that he heard news stories say that in addition to the 30,000 employees (22k teamsters) there were 70,000 "contract workers"
has anyone else heard anything similar or have "proof" of some kind?
Have not seen anything about Yellow freight regarding collateral job loss but taking into account all the services that cater to trucking 2 or 3 to 1 might be possible.

Last edited:
You are lucky. I am Calif and my crate is in Atlanta, Georgia, 2500 miles.... If I just had a 5 hr road trip I would have it by now.
Picked up the lathe yesterday- the freight terminal was a ghost town. Just a handful of office people and dock workers left clearing out remaining freight.

Picked up the lathe yesterday- the freight terminal was a ghost town. Just a handful of office people and dock workers left clearing out remaining freight.
That is good news.
I have a truck broker with a truck lined up for a decent price and that will happen Mon or Tues. They just need to round up a courier box truck to get from the YRC dock to the new trucks dock.

Reactions: Ox
Now that we’re off the rails (just like Yellow Freight), I wonder if the cheap availability of mini lathes will result in any youngsters getting hooked at home for a future career in machining or engineering? It seems like a lot of now retired first generation machinists I’ve met got their start on garbage lathes from dad back in 1960.

Now that we’re off the rails (just like Yellow Freight), I wonder if the cheap availability of mini lathes will result in any youngsters getting hooked at home for a future career in machining or engineering? It seems like a lot of now retired first generation machinists I’ve met got their start on garbage lathes from dad back in 1960.
I think these days they are more into 3d printing.

Harbor Freight these days is about the same, or a little better than Grand Auto / Western Auto, or Monkey Wards, maybe. You should go look around, it's not the same as ten years ago.
Ten years ago if you were in a jam on a Sunday you could make do with a run to Sears to fetch a Craftsman tool....Now it's Harbor Freight.
Fills the need and is affordable. Those who make their living with hand tools might wait for the big truck to show during the week.
Yeah...just hit HF for an el-cheapo vise grip clone to hold some sheet steel to do one weld. Such is life.

My shop is next door to a Yellow depot. It was silent today. I would imagine the office staff are not union.

My shipment was picked up by a courier in a box truck on Monday and dropped off at tforce. Yesterday tforce sent it out and it is scheduled to be here in Ca on next Tues. I pick it up at the dock in the next town over.

I don't see how Yellow gets out of delivering freight that they picked up knowing this was imminent. I do understand other carriers reluctance to pick up that freight. If it was prepaid and has actually been paid then the shipper won't want to pay twice and the consignee shouldn't have to pay at all. Without a signature on the shipping order they would have a hard time collecting from the consignee.
This whole thing stinks. All these loans, real estate sold and leased back, where did all this money go?

Maybe. IMO though, there's a difference between "getting into machining" for the fun of it, and doing so out of necessity. I've seen plenty of the first type get burned out when they realize it's not just turning cranks to get perfect parts out of their crap machines, and plenty of the second type hang in their with crap machines because they needed to (and maybe even learn to like them). Plenty of guys with 'good' machines don't stay with it either, but point is I don't think it's a service to the skill/industry to put out sub-par machines. They fill a hole, but that doesn't mean a cactus.... well.... to each their own.

Back