What's new
What's new

Bluetooth hearing protection that doesn't hurt worn over safety glasses?

rklopp

Diamond
I have old 3M static no-electronics earmuffs that are reasonably comfortable over safety glass earpieces, but want to get some Bluetooth muffs so I can listen to sports/Spitofy/phone while protecting my ears in the shop. Anyone have recommendations? Should I be looking at earbuds instead? Do those stay in while moving around a lot and stay sanitary?

I like cheap earplug headphones for podcasts. There are many options.

My apple airpods also work really well with noise cancelation turned on. Better than earplugs for ambient noise, but not intended as actual hearing protection.

Try some Caldwell Emax shadows pro. Bluetooth, rated for firearms/range use and have both a noise blocking and a passthrough mode. A tap one earbud and you can hear everything and everyone around you with music in the background and tap it again to block everything else out and music in the foreground. Answer you phone, etc.

I use Otto Noizebarrier earbuds now, which don't have Bluetooth, because the shadows pro were too bright for my ears. Didn't seem to ever be quite quiet enough on passthrough. Was nice to just crank away to some tunes while working on loud stuff through.

I have a pair of Axil Ghost Stryke Extreme 2.0 earbuds that I use at the range. Super comfy, with the over the ear loop they stay in even while running and gunning, NRR of 28 I believe with the foam tips. They do bluetooth for calls or stereo, and they have passthrough that will let you hear anything under 85db (like someone walking up behind you). The pass through can be turned off, so that they're just mufflers with bluetooth. I don't think I've pushed mine beyond about 10hrs, but when I did, the battery reading was still medium.

Ordinary noise-cancelling earbuds or headphones won't protect your hearing from very loud noises, such as at the firing range or the machine shop. I'd look only at over-the-ear headphones intended to handle very loud noise, such as those mentioned above.

No expert here but it seems noise canceling headphones will protect better with leakage around the temple pieces. Better then passive muffs. My logic is passive muffs let noise leak in around the glasses while active ones cancel the noise inside the chamber including what has leaked in.
BilL D

Ordinary noise-cancelling earbuds or headphones won't protect your hearing from very loud noises, such as at the firing range or the machine shop. I'd look only at over-the-ear headphones intended to handle very loud noise, such as those mentioned above.

The 2 suggestions above you are in ear and not over the ear.

The 2 suggestions above you are in ear and not over the ear.
Missing word. Yes, and it's a problem. The in-ear stuff doesn't protect. The standard 3M over-ear shooters hearing protectors (which I have) do work well, I've used them with in-ear headphones on airplanes, and they do suppress ambient turbulence noise quite well. While I haven't tried this setup at a shooting range, I'd expect it to work.

As for the "Caldwell Emax shadows pro", they depend on a perfect fit to the ear canal, which I've never succeeded in achieving - all in-ear buds soon fall out. I'd bet that the fine print requires a perfect fit, or no guarantee of protection. What could work is ear buds with custom made noses made to fit one's ear canals precisely. But ear hair can undermine even that. Over-te-ear cups are far simpler and more reliable in practice.

I have been looking at the IsoTunes https://isotunes.com/ Have heard good things about them, just haven't clicked the mouse on them yet.
I never heard of them before, but from their online description, they look like the real deal. Someone on PM must have experience here.

They are also sold on Amazon, so one can look through the ratings. I always start with the one-star ratings and work my way up. There is a lot of noise down there, but patterns often emerge and point to a good question to ask. 3M stuff seems to get better reviews. It's a jungle out there.

Last edited:
Missing word. Yes, and it's a problem. The in-ear stuff doesn't protect. The standard 3M over-ear shooters hearing protectors (which I have) do work well, I've used them with in-ear headphones on airplanes, and they do suppress ambient turbulence noise quite well. While I haven't tried this setup at a shooting range, I'd expect it to work.

As for the "Caldwell Emax shadows pro", they depend on a perfect fit to the ear canal, which I've never succeeded in achieving - all in-ear buds soon fall out. I'd bet that the fine print requires a perfect fit, or no guarantee of protection. What could work is ear buds with custom made noses made to fit one's ear canals precisely. But ear hair can undermine even that. Over-te-ear cups are far simpler and more reliable in practice.
They don't protect? Weird that I have no hearing loss change after switching to in ear ear pro. I chose the Ottos because of their 40db peak rating and 28db NRR rating. I've tried a lot of ear pro because I am a competitive shooter and I have sensitive eardrums. Got tired of knocking over ear ear pro off my ears while shooting or maneuvering so I went in ear. Ran foamies for a while but the active noise cancelling is worth the extra coin. Nothing I've used come close to the Otto. I've used all sorts of things, Caldwell, peltor, walker, etc. Pretty much everything short of going to Sordin. Peltor 6s were actually the worst ones I have used. I have a box of old ear pro of various types.

Even with over ear a good seal is necessary or it does not protect well and not every over the ear seals for every head. I had a hell of a time getting walkers to seal without going to silicone seals. The factory seals were terrible. The ol' lady cannot run over the ear because they don't seal due to her hair.

If you in ear ear pro fall out you have one of a few issues. You do not have the right size inserts for you ear canal, you are using the wrong insert material (I have memory foam inserts on the Ottos) or you just are not installing them in the ear properly. I see the last one a lot at matches. People constantly fiddling with ear pro of all sorts.

Overall, I've had far less reliability with over the ear over time and they are the cause of most of my hearing loss.

I’ve got the Isotunes Pro 2.0. Battery lasts long time. Comes with many sizes of foam eartips. To me the smallest was only comfortable. They are comfortable even when using long time, no irritation whatsoever. Sound quality is not on par with hifi plugs but not bad either. Noise reduction level is not that good as what it is with good foam earplugs.

If you in ear ear pro fall out you have one of a few issues. You do not have the right size inserts for you ear canal, you are using the wrong insert material (I have memory foam inserts on the Ottos) or you just are not installing them in the ear properly. I see the last one a lot at matches. People constantly fiddling with ear pro of all sorts.
I've never been able to get the ear buds to stay in place, even when I'm sitting still and trying to listen, and I've tried all manner of ear buds. Walking is completely hopeless. It's a common problem, given the large number of folk complaining about having lost an expensive earbud while walking.

To suppress loud noises, the over-the-ear muffs do work despite my hair and beard because the loud noises (especially gunshots) drive the ************ cups harder against my skull.

They don't protect? Weird that I have no hearing loss change after switching to in ear ear pro. I chose the Ottos because of their 40db peak rating and 28db NRR rating. I've tried a lot of ear pro because I am a competitive shooter and I have sensitive eardrums. Got tired of knocking over ear ear pro off my ears while shooting or maneuvering so I went in ear. Ran foamies for a while but the active noise cancelling is worth the extra coin. Nothing I've used come close to the Otto. I've used all sorts of things, Caldwell, peltor, walker, etc. Pretty much everything short of going to Sordin. Peltor 6s were actually the worst ones I have used. I have a box of old ear pro of various types.

Even with over ear a good seal is necessary or it does not protect well and not every over the ear seals for every head. I had a hell of a time getting walkers to seal without going to silicone seals. The factory seals were terrible. The ol' lady cannot run over the ear because they don't seal due to her hair.

Overall, I've had far less reliability with over the ear over time and they are the cause of most of my hearing loss.
You wanna rehome some Peltors?

I've used both Dewalt and 3M Bluetooth earmuffs. The Dewalt blocks out more outside noise. Cheap enough to try for comfort. I do wear glasses, but not with earmuffs all day.

I've tried a few:

3M worktunes - I really didn't like these and returned them after a day. The earcups are very shallow and were uncomfortable. Maybe they'll work better if you have tiny ears

Isotunes - I wanted to like these, but didn't find them comfortable for long periods. The in-ear part was fine with the correct size tips, but the external part was uncomfortable for me.

Aftershokz - My favorite option. They are a bluetooth bone conduction headset, so the sound doesn't go in your ear. Wear them with whatever type of earplug you want. Also, multipurpose, as you can use them without earplugs as regular headphones. The bluetooth microphone is pretty good; I never had complaints from anyone I talked to one the phone.

I've tried a few:

3M worktunes - I really didn't like these and returned them after a day. The earcups are very shallow and were uncomfortable. Maybe they'll work better if you have tiny ears

Isotunes - I wanted to like these, but didn't find them comfortable for long periods. The in-ear part was fine with the correct size tips, but the external part was uncomfortable for me.

Aftershokz - My favorite option. They are a bluetooth bone conduction headset, so the sound doesn't go in your ear. Wear them with whatever type of earplug you want. Also, multipurpose, as you can use them without earplugs as regular headphones. The bluetooth microphone is pretty good; I never had complaints from anyone I talked to one the phone.
I had not heard of Shokz, and they get very good reviews on Amazon. This could be a contender. But they do nothing for very loud noises.

For loud noises including gunshots, I'd suggest using this under over-the-ear shooters hearing protectors.

Back