What's new
What's new

BobCAD new support policy...

Doug

Aluminum
BobCAD software of late has been reasonably priced and sufficient for most of our work. And we owned the software outright, no annual fees, etc.

Got an email from them recently saying they will no longer support any versions of their software more than 3 versions old. Thinking about it, I don't need any support for my older V30. V35 is current I believe.

But, in the case I might need to upgrade my computer I need their authorization to activate my owned version to the new computer. I wonder if that would be considered support.

Maybe Al DePaulo (sp?) who sometimes posts here can clarify this.

I will give them a call Monday to ask about this.

BobCAD software of late has been reasonably priced and sufficient for most of our work. And we owned the software outright, no annual fees, etc.

Got an email from them recently saying they will no longer support any versions of their software more than 3 versions old. Thinking about it, I don't need any support for my older V30. V35 is current I believe.

But, in the case I might need to upgrade my computer I need their authorization to activate my owned version to the new computer. I wonder if that would be considered support.

Maybe Al DePaulo (sp?) who sometimes posts here can clarify this.

I will give them a call Monday to ask about this.
I think as long as you still have your invoice with the License ID and password you should be able to do the normal online activation, as long as you deactivate the license on your old PC first, which you can do from within the software.

Edit: Actually looking at it just now there is a transfer license button under Help on the File page. I think that can be done without support getting involved.

Last edited:
I think as long as you still have your invoice with the License ID and password you should be able to do the normal online activation, as long as you deactivate the license on your old PC first, which you can do from within the software.

Edit: Actually looking at it just now there is a transfer license button under Help on the File page. I think that can be done without support getting involved.
It still requires their online activations servers but I would be shocked if they dropped support for activating older software. Their servers are already running for the newer software and it takes almost no resources to continue to process activations for older software. It's just a lookup table verified by a cryptographic key that node locks it to a specific device.

Back