What's new
What's new

BOBCAD V34 ADAPTIVE MILLING FEEDRATE VERSUS RAPID ISSUE

wrustle

Titanium
When adaptive milling using an advanced pocket strategy, I’ve noticed that after the tool cuts each pass, rather than lift and rapid to the start of the next pass, it only feeds at 700ipm. I cannot for the life of me change it to rapid as it should do. It is costing us considerable cycle time when only feeding at 700ipm versus rapid at 1400 ipm.

Anyone steer me in the right direction here? I’ve used Bobcad for several versions and many many years and this one I cannot figure out.

Later,
Russ

Hello Russ,

I think I can help with this topic.

maxfeedrate.jpg

When using adaptive toolpaths the max cutting feedrate is used to define the " link back move" (non-cutting reposition move )

You can adjust this number up or down for what makes sense for your machine / shop environment.

advacned feed rates.jpg
BobCAD offers multiple feedrate mapping options for 2D, 3D and 4 and 5 Axis. In this example ( 2D adaptive pocket ) you can choose from 3 feedrate options, standard, ( up and down feedrate values ) , Volume based - feedrate ramps up and down based on the volume of material the tool is engaged with. Or Radial chip thinning, which is popular to use with adaptive, ramping up and down feedrates to maintain a chip size.

Learn more about adaptive machining here - https://bobcad.com/in-depth-guide-for-adaptive-high-speed-machining-using-cnc-software/

link back move.jpg

These purple lines are the link back moves. In this case, we are cutting in a single direction, so the green lines are cutting moves, and the purple lines are the link moves posted at the "max feed rate" value.

link clearance.jpg

Use the link clearance ( Micro lifts ) to adjust how much the tool moves up for it's non-cutting link back move.

small arc moves.jpg

You can adjust this value ( minimal curvature radius ) to adjust the adaptive " roll in" size. Make this number bigger and you'll see larger arc in moves, make this number smaller the arc in moves will be smaller.

keep down setting.jpg
If you are using 3D adaptive toolpaths ( 3D advanced roughing ) you can control the tool keep down setting with the retrack threshold. Making this number bigger will force the tool to reposition while down. Making this number smaller will force the tool to clearance for it's link back moves.

For additional information on high speed machining concepts for 3 Axis Milling, watch this video.

--

If there is anything else I can help with on this topic, please let me know.

Al, so what you're saying is, it will not rapid back to the start position each time?

The max feedrate on this Haas VF-2SS is 833ipm. My pocket length is 7.8" so it is feeding across that after each cut and with a pocket 5.5" wide, using a 25% stepover, it is taking forever to feed versus rapid.
Has it always fed back to start during adaptive cuts in pockets in previous Bobcad versions? Maybe I've just never noticed on smaller pockets. To me it seems like I'm leaving a lot of cycle time on the table by feeding versus a rapid return.
Considering I have over 100 of these pieces we're running, the time is significant.

Later,
Russ

Back