What's new
What's new

Bolt With Threads In Both Directions

mcload

Hot Rolled
Hello crew; I hope all are well.

My son sent me this "gadget" that you really must see; it is VERY interesting from a machinist's standpoint:
First take a look at what I'm talking about on the link directly below...(there is no audio).

Bolt with thread in both directions - GIF on Imgur

I think we all know what's going on here, but making the bi-directional nuts and bolt is not quite as easy as you might think!
Below is a link to YouTube that shows how it was made....it took this guy 4 tries (which means it would take me 8!).

The narration on this video is in Russian (I think), but there are subtitles in English. You might
just as well turn off the sound unless you understand the language. And the little Makita router trick
is totally awesome! I want one! (BTW, there are a few quick adverts in the video).
This is fascinating!

https://youtu.be/cDfMI5ahbJI

Let me know what you think!

PMc

PS: It sort of reminds me of a level-wind axle as seen below, or, as seen on a bait-casting fishing reel.

View attachment 307948

I don't recall the company names, but I've seen these at a few trade shows. I've always been curious as to the resulting thread strength / what possible applications this sort of thing would serve. Certainly a slick paperweight...

That is pretty cool. Some fancy results too. Did you hear the guy say they cut the power off at 9 PM where he is? He said they do it for safety!

Application for this would be in places like outer space for sure, say deploying an articulating array (maybe to hold solar panels or antennae) in a limited space application. Then the engineers can size the battery for one turn of that cool "bolt" and get opposing motions efficiently.

Pacemakers from American Tool Works Co used this design on lathes that had rapid traverse.

The rapid traverse lead screw on back side of lathe:

15.jpg

Back