What's new
What's new

books info knowledge -- how to practically organize small custom equipment manufacture

andehe

Plastic
Learned a lot on this website. We manufacture custom inspection systems and balance technological development with delivering custom systems (that don't break).
I was looking at the job checklist from four years ago and comparing it to what we are working on now. It seems like we are dealing with the same issues (though we are much further down the road on these issues) e.g. this week we have an engineer at a compliance testing house documenting our product performance, four years ago I was trying to find a part time EE to identify the problem.

I use a electronic lists to manage technical development / product redesign which is ok as we tend to bundle improvements to batches.

For organizing jobs, we have a online ERP which has basic BOM functionality. We use one page pdfs to manually document what we actually build. Works ok, but has some limitations, especially when we don't update them. We mostly build to order and make design revisions all the time which is difficult to manage in itself, though with this process our products have improved considerably in the last four years.
I have been looking at MRP systems that could help us manufacture better. I am looking at including SOPs and capturing our build processes with photos etc. Proshop and Fulcrum Pro seem to have the best ability to do this. Our machinist / design engineer suggests you can't make electronic process you don't already have.

TLDR Looking for good practical books (or other resources) on how to organize and manage small shops that make custom mechanical and electronic components? We specifically need to manage our technical development with our sales. Customers like to buy the same thing years later, but we are in a rapidly developing space.

We struggle with the same issue. Our designs all come from Solidworks which we now have set up to generate a BOM for every part/sub-assembly but have to track the build process in Teamwork. (Which is a project management software that works great for task tracking, communication between groups/individuals, etc but has huge limitations when trying to be used as an ERP.

Find ourselves living between 3-4 computer systems at any given time and end up just manually managing the build.

There is no good, easy, cheap solution I know of.

An ad-hoc bodge mostly seems to work for most people.

It´s somewhat easy technically to make a good custom template for that -- I worked at it for decades -- but its 100s -- to thousands of hours at 150$ / hr.
It´s not too difficult, but it´s very involved, and the people need to be very good.
And a huge nr of hours.

Making things that depend on things, and have weird rules about what goes where, with what, and when it´s allowed, and version tracking, and rollbacks, commitments, depencies, timings, etc. is quite complex.
Less of difficult, more of very very complex and in-depth.

Get someone to do a postgreas sql db and proper versioning of instances, and doc tracking, and You should be much advanced.
Might take 3 months, maybe 20-40 grand.

This would allow proper tracking of all drawings and docs, and who did what, where, and who authorised what, with what version of the order/part/subassy.

One would think that it´s such an obvious target for endless apps and you can download one for your tablet/phone/pc for 100$.
Afaik, there aren´t any.

And the productivity teamwork apps like salesforce, monday, etc. just are not set up for this.
They can perhaps be made to work like that, somewhat, for quite a bit more money in consultants, and costly ongoing monthly fees.

If You think 40 k is expensive, You have not been involved in the ERP (SAP, Oracle, Salesforce, etc) business.

It´s much more complex than it seems at first sight.
Current case I know of, but don´t run, is about half a mil, with 3-5M buy in.
And I would not touch it with a bargepole.

Back