What's new
What's new

BORING HEAD Boring bar holder??

Vettepilot

Plastic
Very new to this...

I've been watching YouTuber "Dale Sweger". When he bores a motorcycle cylinder, he's using a boring bar holder that I would like to identify, and have. It appears as though he's using a 2" boring head, for probably 3/8" boring bars. But he has an attachment that interests me. It clamps into BOTH of the vertical boring bar holes, and holds a larger boring bar. Maybe a 1/2" or 3/4" bar.

Can someone identify that for me? Looks like a very rigid setup!

Help?
Thanks!!

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 7
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 7
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: Ox
I think that the same outfit (?) has the dbl shanked bar as well. (see pic)
I love these toys!

I think that I found all of these on E-bay.

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Attachments

• DSCN2979.JPG
    DSCN2979.JPG
    319.2 KB · Views: 22
Thank you for answering!

Well, it's similar to that, but the one he's using apparently has the two vertical bars that go into the boring head like the one you guys showed. However, his then has a vertical hole in the bottom of it that holds a large diameter round boring bar.

Here, I managed to take a screen shot of one of his videos.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221102-074715_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221102-074715_Chrome.jpg
    780.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20221102-074848_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221102-074848_Chrome.jpg
    937.9 KB · Views: 24
OH YEAH OX!! The one in the middle! That's it!!

Who makes it?? Please! And what exactly is it called??

Thanks a bunch!
Robert

I am sure that we crossed in the mail, but I think that is just one solid pc.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
OPx

You should be able to read it, just like the Geico man said - Messa Tool on Ebay

--------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
I don't know of any for a 3/8" hole size boring head but Mesa Tools make them for the 1/2". https://www.mesatool.com/product-page/2-boring-head-attachment-w-ccmt

Well that's interesting - the one that he is asking about doesn't show up on his website.

???

I'm sure that I picked it up from E-bay, but same place.
Did they quit making them?

Let us know what they say.

edit:
Not showing up on their e-bay store either.

-----------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
I mis-typed when I said "3/8". I'm sure it's 1/2" provisions.

Yeah, I don't see this one on Mesa Tools, E-bay, nor anywhere else. Been looking...

Vettepilot

Oh, one solid piece? No, I don't think so. If you blow your pic up, it looks like that's a large boring bar, inserted into the attachment. Separate pieces. Then if you look at the picture of the other side of it that I showed, there's clamping screws.

I could be wrong; I'm not sure, but that's what it looks like...

Vettepilot

Everything that you see from my pic is one pc.
The set screws on the back side hold pins that go into the head.

But the "bar" is integral to the "block".

You could just ream 3 holes in a block of steel like he did, and install whatever bar that you want.

I don't recall this one being offered in different lengths at the time.
I think that it was pretty much take it or leave it.
Maybe that is the reason for not making it anymore?
(Always the wrong length?)

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

The only time that you would want the "bar" that you are asking about over the ones that have been posted above - is if you are wanting to bore a hole that is less than the D of the boring head, and not any deeper than from the tip to the bottom of the head.

The ones posted above are a God-send for actually getting something done - if you can slip the whole head down the bore...

I have used LH boring bars for years and stuff'n'm down the through/cross hole, but that will mean a lot bigger hole than the head. The ones above will pretty much bore a 2" hole with a 2" head. Not quite, but close.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Yeah, one piece I guess. Anyway, I'm not finding it anywhere at all. I believe I'll go with this one. It will do what I want, and is possibly more rigid than the one I was asking about...

Thanks guys!!

Vettepilot

Reactions: Ox
I made one using a spare 2" dia CNMG boring bar I got with a machine purchase. I drilled mine so the pins were perpendicular to the bar, the bar had flats on all four sides which made it easy to setup in the mill and keep the insert on center.

Back