What's new
What's new

Brand new haas TRT160 in 2020 VF2 won't home C axis.

xnewmanx

Aluminum
I've had this TRT160 tilting rotary for a few years (bought new with machine) and I finally have a need for it (and finally feel confident in my programming).

I installed it according to the instructions, but for whatever reason the C axis will not home. When I try to [POWER UP] or [ZERO AXIS] C [SINGLE AXIS], the platter just spins about 4 or 5 revolutions. While this is happening the degrees shown in the control for C keep climbing. Eventually it the platter stops spinning (and the indicated degrees stop climbing) but it isn't homed. The machine will then just sit like this indefinitely, the running light will stay solid green during this until I hit reset. The brake shows as unclamped.

I think the degree count of the platter is at about 4000 now. I'm unable to jog it or move any axis in any way. If I disable C, and [POWER UP] everything homes appropriately and I can jog and zero X,Y,Z,A to my heart's content. Any thoughts on what might be wrong? Is there a proximity switch on C? What makes C read as "home"?

If the c axis has an absolute encoder, it remembers its home position.
Just activate the c axis mode, using an M code, and start working.

Haas uses "C" on a mill, and it's NOT the spindle?

I've never ran a 2x table, but I would s'pect that it should be A and B.

???

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Have you checked that the pins on the connectors where the trt160 plugs into the cabinet?

What you are describing sounds like a communication problem where the control is commanding a move but it is not getting feedback from the encoder so it just keeps commanding moves while expecting a response and then times out. The only thing that doesn't fit is the increasing degrees on the control.

I would think that it is looking for a limit switch somewhere - that it isn't seeing.
Whether internal or external.

Guessing that it is moving at a decent speed?
Like it is moving towards the L/S and then would slow down to look for the HOME pulse in the encoder?

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

UPDATE:

had service out. Turns out there was a crushed wire for the C limit switch underneath the side cover from the factory. The tech repaired the wire and it is now functioning properly. I definitely could have repaired and diagnosed this by myself, but I was hesitant to tear into it myself since it was never even powered up. If I started disassembling things that would diminish the chances that haas would warranty it even though it’s out of warranty (it sounds like they will).

Haas uses "C" on a mill, and it's NOT the spindle?

I've never ran a 2x table, but I would s'pect that it should be A and B.

???

They tie the labeling to an axis.
A is X rotary
B is Y rotary
C is Z rotary.

So:

A) It was looking for the Limit Switch
B) The rest of the world has "Vertical" and Horizontal" rotaries, and C would be spindle.
(I understand that you didn't name them)

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

So:

B) The rest of the world has "Vertical" and Horizontal" rotaries, and C would be spindle.

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Yep exactly you were right on the limit switch.

The naming makes sense to me only because it’s the only machine I’ve ever worked with.

So:

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
An A axis rotary rotates around the X axis.
A B axis rotary rotates around the Y axis.
A C axis rotary rotates around the Z axis.

As such, my TRT70 (miniature version of the same thing) has an A tilt, and a C spin, if home is with the platter level. If I set home with the platter facing front or back, then I should rename the spin axis B.

Reactions: Ox

Back