What's new
What's new

Breaking off rounded corners

Kratos

Plastic
The inserts used turn the OD and Bore the ID always have a radius tip. Even if I program a perfect 90 degree angle the corner will always have a radius the size of my insert (either .031 or .015). On some applications I can’t have that small radius because the part needs to fit flush with another component and that small radius would be in the way. So I need a tool that can go in there and create a small dip to break off the rounded corner. The image I attached has an example of this. A lot of times it can be accomplished with a small grooving tool a .125 grooving tool is to big. Do any of you know of any tools I can use to achieve this? On OD I can usually get a away with a cutoff tool, but any suggestions for ID corners. Some parts have a bore depth of .125, so this tool would have to be way smaller. TIA!!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-05-06 094313.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-05-06 094313.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 99
DNMG, VNMG etc..
Some mfg's make a dedicated tool that's kicked on a 45deg to do plunge style undercuts also.
But if it's just a corner relief, then use a VNMG tool to go in and scallop it out. There are standard RH and LH tools as well as some VNMG holders that are on like a 117deg or something.
Same goes for the ID bars.

Back