What's new
What's new

Bridgeport 1.5 hp Vari head motor - how remove plastic fan, how trace wires?

aribert

Cast Iron
I have a 1.5 hp motor that is not playing nice when I hook it up to a 3 hp static phase converter (with a 3 hp idler running). I had no issues running a different 1.5 & 2 hp motor so I want to trace the motor wires (not all of them were tagged).

How do I remove the plastic fan on the top of the motor to proceed to dismantle the motor? Image of fan attached.
20230202_163559.jpg

Once I have the motor end bell off, how do I determine which wire goes where - in other words which wires need to be combined for 220v if they are not tagged? Is there any chance the wires might have a second tag on them inside the motor?

148 eyeballs but no responses - I'll just answer my own question.

I finally looked for and saw a H&W video on dismantling one of these motors. I'm not much of a video watcher but I was getting desperate - prior to watching the video, nothing I tried would budge the fan and the fan replacement cost is a bit over $75. In the video they just popped the fan off using two pry bars - looked easy. My first attempt resulted in one of my prybars bending in the middle of the shaft. Then I went and got a couple of my long foot crow bars and gave them a couple of **hard** jerks and the fan popped off. There was a burr on the motor shaft, most likely making the the fan more difficult to remove. Once I had the end bell off, I realized I did not need to concern myself with the wire combinations since the insulation was fried on the motor.

IMG_20230210_170318677.jpgIMG_20230210_171637096.jpg

I wished I had been a member here to help you out when you first asked this question. I'm glad you found our video to help you out! You can always PM me with any further questions. I am not Barry but, I am the main head rebuilder and can answer any of your questions regarding the Bridgeport head.

Back