What's new
What's new

Bridgeport J head on a Burke mvn millrite

n/a

Plastic
After seeing a few different comments online saying a Bridgeport J head will bolt right up to the millrite, I went and picked up a nice used J head off of MP.
Well a quick measurement with a tape measure between the two holes vertical from each other is showing a 1/4” difference between the two heads. Am I missing something? It’sa nice j head and I’d really like to make it work

I'm not sure who said that I know my dad and I tried to do that 50 years ago. Have to make some sort of sub plate that would mount between the two to get it to work. It's viable. Having a CAD software program of some sort to help in laying it out would be of significant help.

It will bolt right on*

With a simple adapter...
Since the bolt circle is different between the two, it would require some kind of adapter I would think. Also have to remember the Millrite head does not have the worm drive to rotate the head. It's been too many years to remember details.

I think it will fit. The bolt circle is the same, or close enough to work, so the fact that the vertical bolt dimension isn't the same doesn't matter, the horizontal dimension is different also. I have a Bridgeport adapter to mount an M head on the Bridgeport and it surely has the same bolt pattern as the J head. It fits my Millrite just fine. The vertical distance between the mounting bolts on the Bridgeport adapter measures about 3.25". Like 4GSR mentions, the Millrite doesn't have the worm drive to rotate the J head, but I bet you could get the mating gear and mount it to the Millrite so it worked with the J head. May take a little fitting. Here are some pictures of my setup.

Irby

Attachments

• DSC01219a.jpg
    DSC01219a.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC01271a.jpg
    DSC01271a.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2888.JPG
    IMG_2888.JPG
    938.2 KB · Views: 24
I think it will fit. The bolt circle is the same, or close enough to work, so the fact that the vertical bolt dimension isn't the same doesn't matter, the horizontal dimension is different also. I have a Bridgeport adapter to mount an M head on the Bridgeport and it surely has the same bolt pattern as the J head. It fits my Millrite just fine. The vertical distance between the mounting bolts on the Bridgeport adapter measures about 3.25". Like 4GSR mentions, the Millrite doesn't have the worm drive to rotate the J head, but I bet you could get the mating gear and mount it to the Millrite so it worked with the J head. May take a little fitting. Here are some pictures of my setup.

Irby
In looking at a picture of the back of a J head, it looks like it uses the worm gear to center the unit and support it when loosening the 4 bolts to rotate it. I can't remember if the adapter I have had a recess that picked up the centering ring on the Millrite or not to center the entire thing. You may have to get the Bridgeport worm gear or make a centering plug to attach to the Millrite that goes into the recess in the back of the J head to center the head and supply support for it when loosening the bolts and rotating it.

Irby

Now, a caveat to what I have just posted...

I have the two headed ram on my Millrite. I have just always assumed the rear attachment for the head is identical the the front attachment. I have never tried swapping the regular Millrite head onto the rear of the ram. Nor have I ever seen the Burke description of the two headed ram. It is possible that the rear attachment is different than the front and is compatible with a Bridgeport.

I can't lift the heads, and can't get my engine hoist into the garage near the mill, so I can't check out the two end attachments right now. So that question is unanswered... :(

Irby

Alright, I found a post by a fellow who attached a Bridgeport J head directly to a Millrite. He had pictures and it works like it should. I won't post his name or his pictures because I don't have permission, but here's a partial quote, "but the BP J head bolts right up to the Millrite collar."

So maybe the rear ram attachment on my Millrite is rthe same as the front. :)

Irby

P.S. Do a search for "Burke Millrite with Bridgeport J Head" and you'll find the article I'm talking about... :)

Last edited:
Irby,

that's what I don't remember from back then. I am wrong about needing an adapter plate. Oh, I remember the rear mount. Dad wanted that for the mill we had. He couldn't wait for one from the factory plus the additional cost back then. He wanted it with the Burgmaster turret head for the work he was doing back then. Thanks for sharing the pictures and is there a link you can provide to the person you mentioned?

Ken

Irby,

that's what I don't remember from back then. I am wrong about needing an adapter plate. Oh, I remember the rear mount. Dad wanted that for the mill we had. He couldn't wait for one from the factory plus the additional cost back then. He wanted it with the Burgmaster turret head for the work he was doing back then. Thanks for sharing the pictures and is there a link you can provide to the person you mentioned?

Ken
I added a search term to my previous post that should get you there, but I'm also sending you the link in a "conversation" (old PM).
Irby

Irby
Yeah for starters, I have to admit, I completely forgot the mounting bolts/studs rotate around the mounting surface, I was thinking they were fixed. (this is the first mill I’ve seen apart and that was quite a while ago) so that obviously changes a lot.
When you mounted yours, did you have to grind down the ring in the center of the Millrite’s mounting surface? I’d like to have the benefit of the worm gear, but I’d rather not grind/modify the mounting surface if possible. Even if that means losing that tilting function.. thanks for the info and pics

Edit* forget that last part about grinding the ring, I guess I should have finished reading the rest of your posts 😁.

Last edited:
Alright, I found a post by a fellow who attached a Bridgeport J head directly to a Millrite. He had pictures and it works like it should. I won't post his name or his pictures because I don't have permission, but here's a partial quote, "but the BP J head bolts right up to the Millrite collar."

So maybe the rear ram attachment on my Millrite is rthe same as the front. :)

Irby

P.S. Do a search for "Burke Millrite with Bridgeport J Head" and you'll find the article I'm talking about... :)
was it a thread that you posted a couple pics in? That and another flikr article are all that I could find

was it a thread that you posted a couple pics in? That and another flikr article are all that I could find
It was the flikr article. He has 5 nice photos of the J head on his green Millrite. The J head looks almost a big as the Millrite! :)

Irby

Humm.... That link posted the actual picture. If you click on the picture, it takes you to the photo stream where the additional photos are for the head conversion.

Oh, I forgot I posted about this topic back in 2010 in this thread (post #4) -
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/forum/threads/bridgeport-j-head-on-a-millrite.216494/

Irby
In that post I said the Millrite centering spud sticking out of the mounting ring is the same diameter as the Bridgeport worm gear that acts as a centering spud. So the J head should go right onto the Millright spud and be supported by it a little bit. The Millrite spud doesn’t stick out nearly as far as the worm gear would, but may be enough to work.

You may have to remove the side gear that meshes with the worm gear.

Irby

I had a millrite years back and at one point considered adding a Bridgeport J-head, but never did. One thing I realized was that once a J-head would be fitted you would loose a lot of daylight (vertical space) between the quill and table. So I concluded that a riser would have to also be added as part of the project.

Humm.... That link posted the actual picture. If you click on the picture, it takes you to the photo stream where the additional photos are for the head conversion.
I couldn’t find any pics of the process, just a few of the finished project?
In that post I said the Millrite centering spud sticking out of the mounting ring is the same diameter as the Bridgeport worm gear that acts as a centering spud. So the J head should go right onto the Millright spud and be supported by it a little bit. The Millrite spud doesn’t stick out nearly as far as the worm gear would, but may be enough to work.

You may have to remove the side gear that meshes with the worm gear.

Irby
I hope this is the case. I don’t need the gear if it means a much easier process without machining.
I’m measuring 3” opening in the j head, with about 1/4” depth before it would hit the drive gear

So If anyone is interested the J head seems like it’s going to bolt right up. I just had to remove the worm gear from the head and the shoulder on the Millrite “spacer” fits like a glove into the head.
I obviously will only have manual control over the tilt without the worm gear , but that’s all I had on the Millrite head anyway.
So I’m just waiting on bolts from eBay, and hopefully it’s a done deal
F249CC71-75B2-4F6A-AC28-3359C0AE90F0.jpegE99A8671-3C43-4887-A32D-D3ECC8C6ADF9.jpeg

Back