What's new
What's new

Bridgeport VMC 2216 XV Spindle Taper - CAT40 or BT40

Hardchrome

Plastic
I just purchased a 2001 Bridgeport VMC 2216 XV that has a Fanuc 21iA control. Super nice machine, very well cared for, runs like a sewing machine and all for an excellent price - but it came without any tooling.

Everything I can find on the web and the with the machine paperwork, all says it came with a BT40 spindle. The previous owner has tried to help but believes they always ran CAT40 tooling.

I know that dimensionally you can run either in most spindles with the right pull studs - but everything else I read (and know from servicing machine tools for 40 years) says that the wrong holder and pull stud will damage the drawbar and/or tool magazine.

Unfortunately of all the BPs, the last models they made seem to have the least amount of info on them out on the web and while alot of folks have solid opinions on CAT40 vs BT40 - I haven't seen any related information that's based on firsthand knowledge.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

I would measure the drive dogs on the spindle and also in the tool changer pods/carousel and compare them to the slots on a tool holder. If you dont have any tool holders, you should be able to find info online.

I would measure the drive dogs on the spindle and also in the tool changer pods/carousel and compare them to the slots on a tool holder. If you dont have any tool holders, you should be able to find info online.
Thank you for the reply. Yeah, that's the issue - I have no tooling whatsoever and as I mentioned, there is virtually nothing online for this particular BP Model. I combed the internet for days before turning to the forum in hopes someone had the same model.

One thing you can check is if the spindle keys are offset or on center. Not all but most machines running CAT tooling will have offset keys (one closer to the taper) whereas BT spindles will have their keys on center. If you are running a tool changer, you definitely need to be using the correct holders as previously stated due to the differences in the flanges. There are typically retention knobs available in similar dimensions for both BT and CAT holders.

Back