What's new
What's new

British Ajax AJT4 mill lube blockage, rwemedy?

Seapy

Plastic
Hi this section seems closest to my question...

I have recently bought an Ajax mill, about 1500Kg class INT4, the varydrive spring was broken and a trashed feed gearbox being the main issues.

I now have the head working, seems good, have cut chips.

Turning my attention to the feeds, the gearbox seems to have been in two ratios at once and trashed teeth from several gears. There are still undamaged ratios available so I intend to lock the box in one gear and use an inverter (VFD) to get the feed speeds I need using a rheostat.

Dismantling the entire knee/table assy I found that some of the drive dogs are badly worn, I intend to build them up and recut the dog teeth. This begged the question why, the answer was the lube system appears to be blocked, causing the knee and saddle motions to get really tight, especially the knee, which required a 4ton jack to shift up AND down, my 2ton trolly jack wouldn't shift it.

I am in the process of replacing the 4mm plastic lube pipes, the pump seems to work well enough but can't force oil past the restrictors. I thought they were simply a small orifice type of restrictor but there seems to be a screw adjuster in the outlet. All 8 restrictors in the knee manifold are marked boldly with a figure '1'. I plan to try tomorrow to ultrasonic clean the knee restrictors then connect each of the 8 individually to the pump to see if I can get them to pass oil.

Does anybody have experience of this type of issue and have any suggestions how best to proceed. I don't want to mess with the adjustment because I have no way to re-calibrate. I do wonder if I should screw the screw right in, counting turns then remove the screw to see if that allows a visual check or probe with a very thin wire to remove any debris possibly blocking the restrictor.

I find it hard to see how all the lines can be blocked, unless some previous user has used some contaminated oil. One possible clue might be that some of the paint on the machine is crinkling and blistering like paint remover has been applied, where coolant or lubricant has spilled below the various ways and below the lube pump.

Robert

PS. I finally got the lid off of the oil reservoir, the oil had formed a varnish like seal to the screw lid of the resovoir. There are threads of what I assume is solidified oil, this may well be the root of the problem. Perhaps dunking the restrictors in a solvent or some chemical to dissolve the blockage may get the job done?

Will try to post a picture later.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
As long as the parts are NOT made of Aluminium, boil them in a strong solution of washing soda, ........that will clean out oil that even cellulose thinners won't break down.

As long as the parts are NOT made of Aluminium, boil them in a strong solution of washing soda, ........that will clean out oil that even cellulose thinners won't break down.

Thank you, I will try that.

This is some of the crap I found in the lube reservoir:

IMG_1611 (1).jpg

I have re-piped the knee today, I had one restrictor playing silly, got it clear in the end. I can now wind the knee UP by turning the bevel gear shaft by hand (without the handle). Very much better than before, admittedly without the saddle or table which weigh over 350 Kg (700 Lbs?) together.

I shall clean the saddle next, that has more blocked lube points.

IMG_1614.jpg

The blocked oilways and gunge filled grooves for the table slide are clear to see. This machine can't have had any proper maintenance for years.

Thank you, I will try that.

This is some of the crap I found in the lube reservoir:

View attachment 347876

I have re-piped the knee today, I had one restrictor playing silly, got it clear in the end. I can now wind the knee UP by turning the bevel gear shaft by hand (without the handle). Very much better than before, admittedly without the saddle or table which weigh over 350 Kg (700 Lbs?) together.

I shall clean the saddle next, that has more blocked lube points.

View attachment 347877

The blocked oilways and gunge filled grooves for the table slide are clear to see. This machine can't have had any proper maintenance for years.

If the machine was made in the UK the lubrication fittings may be “ Enots “. Having said that I’ve worked on several “ Ajax “ machines and some were re-badged European machines.

Regards Tyrone.

This mill was made in Spain in 1989, motors by Andia. The lube pump (and lube system?) is Intza, has a sight glass on the front of the pump. It seems to pump too large a volume at each stroke but that may not be the case when I get all the points connected... I have connected 8 lube points for the knee, I am currently connecting the saddle pipes which number about 14, so there will be about 22 lube points in total.

IMG_1637 Oil Pump.jpg

I have I believe, unblocked all the restrictors, they are all marked '1' so I am not being particular which circuit I am using them on. I cleared them with a combination of methods, soaking them in powerful de-greaser, twiddling the screw inside, I also tried Limy's method of boiling them in washing soda, that did release some muck but I then flushed them with compressed air and degreaser. I have tested them individually and they all drip oil when connected directly to the pump. The reason I am going to the trouble of cleaning them is that I have a quote of £51.65 for ONE new restrictor nozzle, olive and nut... From Machine Spares, the spare parts agents for Ajax. That is obviously silly money. I was unable to find these restrictors online so I had to clean them. If in the future I find they are blocking I may fit new ones.

IMG_1638 Saddle.jpg

I have two questions which are closer to the section description...

Firstly, the knee to saddle slide is quite worn. Even when the gib is fully screwed in there noticeable slop sideways in mid travel. I have inserted a strip of bean can (about 5 thou thick) behind the gib which fixes the slop but it's a fraction too thick because the gib is protruding about ½" too far out at the front to get the swarf wiper on, also, the slide is a bit tight right at the back, not too bad at the front... Perhaps a 4 thou bean can might be better? Seriously, is it acceptable to shim the gib? In practical terms, how can I best deal with the tightness on the slide where the movement is least worn. Does this involve scraping, presumably the affected area of the top of the knee. Is this practicable with the knee on the machine? Are there any other methods, like localised grinding or lapping with a diamond lap? If I do need to scrape, can anyone point me towards some guidance please.

Secondly, the central area of the top slide on the saddle for the table was quite corroded with black iron oxide. I wire brushed the oil grooves which were solid with hard gunge and used a flat diamond (red) lap to cut back to the iron surface which revealed the diagonal pattern of the original scraping. The scraping marks are not cleaned out to form oil pools to trap lubricant to aid the slide, how can I clean out theses micro recesses or does it not matter? This machine will not be used for seriously accurate work. It's just a way of making holes and machining flat(ish?) surfaces. Not expecting to be skimming cylinder heads etc.

PS.

I have connected today and tested a further 9 feeds to the saddle feeding the right hand side, all the restrictors pass oil, one is slightly slow but it's only a hand turned open bevel gear pair connecting the table fine feed handle, so I am sure it will survive.

Many thanks for the info and suggestions, you are a great help.

Regards,

Robert

Last edited:

Back