What's new
What's new

British/European screwcutting benchtop lathes?

catalytic

Cast Iron
If you spend time in London or read lathes.co.uk, you find hundreds of British and European companies that made benchtop screwcutting lathes throughout the 1900-1980 era. Myford is the famous one, but there are tons.

Many look small (less than 250lbs) and have screwcutting.

Do any of these small lathes exceed the quality of, say, a South Bend 9A? Do any approach the quality of a Rivett or Wade?

I have a good friend in London and may also be living there soon -- plans are afoot to hunt for a sub-300lb baby lathe to play with while we're missing the Pacemaker...

Not familiar with the any US lathes but all our mobile workshops in the South African army had Boxfords. They weren't a DSG but I managed to chamber and ream barrels on them and they were quite capable of doing a quality job. We also had a Colchester Bantam in a toolroom I worked in, it was a decent small lathe.

Not familiar with the any US lathes but all our mobile workshops in the South African army had Boxfords. They weren't a DSG but I managed to chamber and ream barrels on them and they were quite capable of doing a quality job. We also had a Colchester Bantam in a toolroom I worked in, it was a decent small lathe.
I have read that the Boxford 9" lathe was more or less a copy of the South Bend.

Back in the late 1970's, I visited London's Buck & Ryan tool shop and became acquainted with Myford lathes. When I got my first antique Hardinge lathe, a 7" swing model, I mail-ordered some Myford componenents to replace missing Hardinge items. The Myford tailstock was specially impressive for quality. I think in some ways the Myford Super 7 was superior to a South Bend 9 or light 10, but I think none are industrial quality.

Larry

Don't forget the Emco, as L Vanice says these are not industrial machines but they are all capable of high quality work.

Holbrook did some nice small lathes, very, very nice, toolroom quality along the lines of the Rivett 608 benchtops - pretty rare but worth looking for, I have one of their larger toolroom lathes, the C13 - for 1955 it's very modern apart from its beautiful curvy styling :)

A quick look at Lathes site gives a long list of machines, some rather obscure but more common lathe makes that I would consider include, Cowells, CVA, DSG,Harrison, Colchester, Raglan, Schaublin, Smart and Brown.
Some of these may be a bit heavy for your needs but the smallest machines in their range may suit you and you have a chance of finding a reasonable example.

Back