What's new
What's new

Broken tap Remover- what good is it?

Yeah...like the other poster who said "I haven't broken a tap yet"...meaningless without knowing how many tapped holes he has tapped, and what sizes and in what materials.
Guess thats refering to me.

All my taping was done using mainly CRS but some SAE 01 and all were 1/4-20 4 Flute taps using a tap wrench. :D Not many though maybe all in all 10-15. But I've only been doing Machining since January and it was for my college projects

Mind you quite a few other students in my program have broken up to 3-4 so far. :eek:

Dimitri

Thanks for followup info Dimitri. FWIW, I've probably tapped tens of thousands of no. 4,6, 8 and 10 holes in my day...mostly in aluminum.....so yeah, I've broken a tap or two !

The irony being that all that tapping was done in the production of a tapping machine !

squaretap2.jpg

D. Thomas,

The moment I looked into here and saw that picture I had a flashback of Deja-view.

Powertapping.jpg

Its from Machining Fundamentals Page 119 by John R. Walker which was my machining textbook for 1st and 2nd term

Dimitri

Dimitri, that is too cool...I didn't know SWMBO and my Squaretap were in that book !!

My only other claims to book fame are a photo of my 1870 Jones Superior 36 inch jig saw in one of the most popular scroll saw books (in the 'history of the scroll saw' chapter) and my Omnijig dovetail jig on the cover of a hardbound Time Life book on woodworking.

These things have saved me a couple times...

http://www.omegadrill.com/default.html

Not cheap, but cheaper than making the "Manifold head, robotic dispensing, 8 channel, 1 ea"
another time.

I learned that day to tap the tricky holes as early in the process as possible, so if I have to scrap a part it's as partially finished as possible.

D Thomas,

Is it just me or does it look like its the same picture but it has been photo edited ?? :confused:

Other then the part being different everything else seems to be "smiliar" to both pictures. I think that Catalog photo was made with the photo I posted as its neater but pretty much the same. :eek:

Dimitri

hey ive got a $7000. part that was ruined when i broke a 000-130 TPI tap in it. if any of you can tell me how to remove it without ruining the part .200 X .188 X .800 .0005 true position on 15 features maybe i can still sell it :D .
BTW beeswax and a 3/4" knurled disc is great for small taps like this...jim

Dimitri, now that I think about it further, I do have a dim memory of some 'book guy' requesting a reproduceable photo of our tapping machine many years ago. So I suspect I mailed him the original photo materials (prior to superimposing ghosted background machines) and just forgot all about it. Sheesh, now I need to buy a copy of that book !

Re why the differences in the photo...the one in the book is the original photo. The one in the brochure....I had that small engine block Photoshopped in after the fact ! I decided the C clamp and pipe looked pretty dumb after the photo session was over (way before digital cameras were in use) and came up with the idea of using this engine block we got from the folks across the street.

000-135 tpi ??? DANG!! I'm impressed. Thats REAL precision. Only thing neater than spinning a 200 ton part is working on a little itty bitty thing-a-ma-jig like that.

Call the "tool pavilion international" he claims to have the perfect stuff. No mixing, just pour it on. "Works without damaging "MOST" metals used in todays shops.

818-352-8025 Don or Tom Ext. 375

Let us know how it works.

What is a 000-130 TPI threads Major diameter ?? :confused:

My copy of the Machinist Handbook only goes down to 0-80 UNF. :(

Also the 0-80 is tiny as it is, thought about taking a sewing needle and machining it down to like 0.010 on a Lathe then EDM'ing (on a low setting not to burn the threads themselves) the screw out ??

Re why the differences in the photo...the one in the book is the original photo. The one in the brochure....I had that small engine block Photoshopped in after the fact ! I decided the C clamp and pipe looked pretty dumb after the photo session was over (way before digital cameras were in use) and came up with the idea of using this engine block we got from the folks across the street.
Neat thanks for the reply

Dimitri

"What is a 000-130 TPI threads Major diameter ??"

My copy of the Machinist Handbook only goes down to 0-80 UNF.
Even the just mentioned Machinery Handbook replacement, HMI, doesn't give major diameter for miniture taps, but it does list the recommended drill sizes for down to 0000-160 tpi taps.

Recommended drill for 000-120 tpi is .0261" min and .0293" maximum, depending on thread depth (it has a chart for various depths) For forming taps, .0306".

A couple of questions:

What would be the right speed to run a radial drill for power tapping with a 000-130 tap?

Would it be best to use a crane or a forklift to position the work?

UN number series screw threads are 0.013" between sizes. Work down far enough (5/0) and there comes a point where the major diameter becomes a negative number. What is a negative hole? Does that mean a negative number tapped hole sticks out from the work surface? What do negative threads look like? Is the negative tap drill larger than the negative minor diameter?

All these are important consideration these days.

Back