What's new
What's new

Brother HS-300 on the way

If you can, I recommend leaving your machine on at night and just turning your pumps off if that is possible. Even new wire machines don't take too kindly to being turned off and on, in my experience.
Currently, it's (almost) only off when I sleep :) if I had a way to tie in an alarm when a wire breaks or error comes up I would let it run while I sleep too, now that the water leaks at contained.

I am putting ~16-20 hrs on it a day right now and probably till the end of month. 3 pockets each part, 3-4 hrs per pocket. Clamps on to catch the slugs. Going through 3" thick 6061. Maxing out what this machine can do and finally holding reliability. 001 size, position and tapper.

Not bad for a little 1980's wire edm that Brother/GF orphaned.

Was it a pita to get here, Yes! Do I fault the machine? Nope. It was neglected and I had(still have) a lot to learn :)

It fit the budget, space and power requirements I had to work with, secured a nice contract and paid for itself in a couple parts. (my hours getting there.. questionable hah)

Would I do things differently, oh yeah 😎

Last edited:
Ok well I found a way to send a notice to my phone when the wire errors out - I can piggy back off the optional tri light connection (they called it something else but I can't remember right now) and let the signal for the red light trigger an event to email / text me. Not too worried about to right now, but maybe in the (very near) future... actually just ordered it, will hook it up Thursday and try sleeping regular(ish) hours again. I can set up for the 4 hr pocket, have it send me an email/text when it hits the M01 for the clamp to go on, and possibly when it's done, or just set an alarm on my phone when it should be done for me to come back and pull the slug, skim only takes 30 mins.. set up for the next pocket and go back to bed.. sounds good to me.

1718124061238.png

Also (!) the table moved .001 over night, so I'm not going crazy. It does drift when unpowered (slight tilt in my floor) - It does not however drift when powered. This explains why I had problems after going to my fixture, previously I was touching off frequently then after the fixture was made I assumed I didn't have too.. whoops. My new (lengthy) work procedure insulates me from those issues, pita it is, but consistency I do have.

Back at it, had a delayed morning.. one more 4 hr pocket to go and done with the next part.

Last edited:
Currently, it's (almost) only off when I sleep.

I guess what I was getting it is to leave it on while you sleep. If you're going home and nothing is running, just shut your pumps off as they will use the most electricity. Other than that it's not really using much juice while it's idling.

Edit: Or yes since you're apparently a crazy bastard you can let your machine wake up you in the middle of the night, that works too.

I guess what I was getting it is to leave it on while you sleep. If you're going home and nothing is running, just shut your pumps off as they will use the most electricity. Other than that it's not really using much juice while it's idling.

I don't see the benefit right now to doing that, unless of course it was running parts :)

HAH just saw your edit, love it.

Last edited:
Hi Waakzaamheid:
Remember when we were that young and crazy?
I pulled a few all nighters in my time too, building injection molds on contract.
But I was in my twenties then...now pain HURTS me (I'm in my sixties), and not getting my beauty rest is pain (BTW, the "pain HURTS me" line is a classic from Bugs Bunny).

I remain in awe of what BadTad has accomplished but I have no wish to try to imitate it anymore.

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com

Hi Waakzaamheid:
Remember when we were that young and crazy?
I pulled a few all nighters in my time too, building injection molds on contract.
But I was in my twenties then...now pain HURTS me (I'm in my sixties), and not getting my beauty rest is pain (BTW, the "pain HURTS me" line is a classic from Bugs Bunny).

I remain in awe of what BadTad has accomplished but I have no wish to try to imitate it anymore.

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com
I'm 40, but I've still been running wires since I was 17. I think I can still qualify as no longer being young and crazy.

And yes it's quite an accomplishment. Reminds me that recently, our rep for Makino brought in a guy from another local shop that was looking to upgrade from his early 90s Agie. His jaw dropped when he saw the auto threader and actually developed technology. I think BadTad may have the same reaction after battling with his machine.

The benefit would be that the machine wouldn't lose position.

But if you've come up with a plan to compensate for that then that works too!
Ahh yes, sorry. I found if I home in the am, test cut a 1/2 square and adjust my position it's very manageable.. just don't turn it off until you are done :)

Turnning the pumps off is a good plan. We had a hose blow out one night and dump the entire clean tank on the floor of the shop.

160 gallons.....

Fortuneatly it was already cleaned up before I got to work. lol

Turnning the pumps off is a good plan. We had a hose blow out one night and dump the entire clean tank on the floor of the shop.

160 gallons.....

Fortuneatly it was already cleaned up before I got to work. lol
I had a hose pop off and dump 10 gallons in the 30 seconds it took me to figure out wth that noise was! I still have a 1/4" socket / wrench on my desk incase it acts up again, scared me lol.

I think I'm good leaving it powered off unless I'm monitoring it, I can watch the shop cameras and set up the text alerts based on what color the light wants to flash, possibly even put a water sensor next to the tank incase it starts leaking, to trip an estop and alert me.

Just dialed in my offsets for another cut, X was dead nuts, Y moved .0025 overnight. When I get more time I'll re-level the machine.

Well I might have figured out the (latest) wire break issue. The wind up spool motor would lock up for a second then spring forward, sometimes it would give me a feed error, other times it would just snap the wire.

I just fought with it for the last 2 hrs and decided to order a replacement. I was on the last pocket for this part, so not sure how I'll pick up the offsets again, already cut my test square and gone 1/3 of the way through the pocket, but I suppose I'll figure something out!

Hopefully have the replacement here by friday.. really needed this part done today.

Update: I emptied the spool and that seems to have helped there was not very much on there, but possible off balance/weight and causing problems on the motor.. at any rate I'm limping along for now.

Knock on wood that seems to have solved the problem, although I already dropped $ on a replacement motor. I think it was off balance just enough to cause a problem, of course this could all come back once there is more weight on the spool. Likely it's just worn out and failing.

Last edited:
BadTad,

I believe this thread (15 pages now!) will become the gospel "go-to" document for anyone that chooses to tackle getting one of these Brothers up and running any time in the future!

Incredible work, incredible persistence, and a huge amount of documentation. Awesome!

PM

BadTad,

I believe this thread (15 pages now!) will become the gospel "go-to" document for anyone that chooses to tackle getting one of these Brothers up and running any time in the future!

Incredible work, incredible persistence, and a huge amount of documentation. Awesome!

PM
Thanks for the kind words!

Hey you never know - I may be back here in the future trying to figure something out again myself :)

Really though I hope this does help someone else down the road.

Ok well I found a way to send a notice to my phone when the wire errors out - <snip snip>

When I was in the wire business, (started in wire work a bit over 20 years ago), I set up a laptop with a camera and microphone looking at the work area of my Agie. If I was running around the clock (not that often), I had another laptop in my bedroom at home connected through the internet to the shop (can't remember what software I was using, but essentially like a really crude Zoom connection). When I would go to bed, I'd turn off the display, and turn down the volume so I could just barely hear the machine. Needless to say, the most significant issue would be if the machine missed threading on the next part, which was very apparent by sound. My business was only about a 3 or 4 minute drive from home, so would just throw on clothes and drive over to the shop, fix the issue, and head back home and go back to bed. Fortunately.... it rarely happened, as that machine was very good at threading.

I spent quite a few nights falling asleep to the sound of the wire machine running... and fortunately, a missed thread would almost always wake me right up.

PM

When I was in the wire business, (started in wire work a bit over 20 years ago), I set up a laptop with a camera and microphone looking at the work area of my Agie. If I was running around the clock (not that often), I had another laptop in my bedroom at home connected through the internet to the shop (can't remember what software I was using, but essentially like a really crude Zoom connection). When I would go to bed, I'd turn off the display, and turn down the volume so I could just barely hear the machine. Needless to say, the most significant issue would be if the machine missed threading on the next part, which was very apparent by sound. My business was only about a 3 or 4 minute drive from home, so would just throw on clothes and drive over to the shop, fix the issue, and head back home and go back to bed. Fortunately.... it rarely happened, as that machine was very good at threading.

I spent quite a few nights falling asleep to the sound of the wire machine running... and fortunately, a missed thread would almost always wake me right up.

PM

Thanks for sharing the story, sounds like an adventure for sure. I am hoping these hours I'm keeping are temporary and soon we can get something truly lights out. Load up multiple parts and let it run.

For now, the good fight continues for at least the rest of the month.

Well I might have figured out the (latest) wire break issue. The wind up spool motor would lock up for a second then spring forward, sometimes it would give me a feed error, other times it would just snap the wire.

I just fought with it for the last 2 hrs and decided to order a replacement. I was on the last pocket for this part, so not sure how I'll pick up the offsets again, already cut my test square and gone 1/3 of the way through the pocket, but I suppose I'll figure something out!

Hopefully have the replacement here by friday.. really needed this part done today.

Update: I emptied the spool and that seems to have helped there was not very much on there, but possible off balance/weight and causing problems on the motor.. at any rate I'm limping along for now.

Knock on wood that seems to have solved the problem, although I already dropped $ on a replacement motor. I think it was off balance just enough to cause a problem, of course this could all come back once there is more weight on the spool. Likely it's just worn out and failing.
Yer gonna have a brand new machine soon...only a few parts to go 😀

Yer gonna have a brand new machine soon...only a few parts to go 😀
Surprisingly other than semi/consumables, I don't think I've had to actually replace much in the way of electronics.. yet.

I can tell you it's getting a good shake down. If/when we sell it to make room for something newer, someone is going to get a solid machine lol.

Back