What's new
What's new

Brother power issues?

This sounds like classic loose wire connection somewhere.

How does power distribution work between the 480-208 transformer and this Brother? Is there a breaker panel? Is the breaker fucked (very common problem for me)? Are the breakers bolt in style? Are the lugs clean and tight? If the breakers snap in, are the contacts good?

If a breaker is warm at all in use I consider it junk and replace it.

I much prefer fuses to breakers. Never, ever had a fuse not work exactly as intended. Replaced a ton of breakers that did not.

Agree on this, breakers and relays are great until they are not. I prefer fuses and disconnects for my entire CNC electrical distribution.

I'll have to look up what it was called but I purchased a data logging inductive unit that clips over my mains (You can put it anywhere to measure) and you can watch and record in real-time how much power your machine is using during any event you like. I use this to tune my ramp slopes on my spindles so there is no risk overloading my phase perfect unit(s). The data that comes from this unit is very helpful in really understanding how much energy these machines need and being able to "tune" for running more of them if you have limited power. It also helps you see problems ahead of time if you let the app it has (runs on your phone in realtime) can "learn" loads. You can have it know when a coolant pump comes on or anything else that has a distinct repeatable power "signature". The unit was originally developed for people to monitor their homes and see where they use the most power but it works well for other applications too.

This sounds like classic loose wire connection somewhere.

How does power distribution work between the 480-208 transformer and this Brother? Is there a breaker panel? Is the breaker fucked (very common problem for me)? Are the breakers bolt in style? Are the lugs clean and tight? If the breakers snap in, are the contacts good?

If a breaker is warm at all in use I consider it junk and replace it.

I much prefer fuses to breakers. Never, ever had a fuse not work exactly as intended. Replaced a ton of breakers that did not.
There is a breaker panel between the transformer and the machine. I believe the circuit breakers are Siemens bolt in style, but I need to look. I think swapping breakers is my next step.

Agree on this, breakers and relays are great until they are not. I prefer fuses and disconnects for my entire CNC electrical distribution.

I'll have to look up what it was called but I purchased a data logging inductive unit that clips over my mains (You can put it anywhere to measure) and you can watch and record in real-time how much power your machine is using during any event you like. I use this to tune my ramp slopes on my spindles so there is no risk overloading my phase perfect unit(s). The data that comes from this unit is very helpful in really understanding how much energy these machines need and being able to "tune" for running more of them if you have limited power. It also helps you see problems ahead of time if you let the app it has (runs on your phone in realtime) can "learn" loads. You can have it know when a coolant pump comes on or anything else that has a distinct repeatable power "signature". The unit was originally developed for people to monitor their homes and see where they use the most power but it works well for other applications too.
Thanks. I'd be interested to know what you're using for data logging. It sounds like it could be useful or at least fun to play with.
I may be confusing you with someone else here on PM, but don't you have a bunch of 5-axis DMGs? Are you telling me that you run your whole shop off of phase converters?

Back