What's new
What's new

Brother Speedio in process probing

Peroni

Cast Iron
Is it possible to probe parts while in process on a Speedio? Short story is that in program probing has never worked on this machine. I was told to use the Go Probe app for probing. I've got 150 parts coming up that need to be probed due to some fussy feature locations. Sure would be nice to do this automatically right from the program.

Using HSMWORKS here's what my post processor spits out:

(0001)
(T99 PROBE)
G00 G90 G40 G80
G94 G49
(PROBE WCS1)
N10 G54 G90 G17 G80 G94 G40 G97
G100 T99 X0 Y0 G43 Z2.2 H99
G65 P8832
G65 P8810 Z0.2 F40
G65 P8812 Z-0.6181 X8.125 R0.4724 Q0.4 S1.
G65 P8812 Z-0.6181 Y3.5 R0.4724 Q0.4 S1.
G65 P8810 Z0.2
G00 Z2.2
G65 P8833
G100 T99
G90 G53 X0 Y0
M30

Upon loading into memory the machine immediately alarms out saying sub 8832 cannot be found. 8832 is right there in the Renishaw folder with all the others so I don't know what is going on at this point.

I have s S500 and use my probe a lot. Your sub 8832 must be in the same folder as the primary program. It cannot be in separate folders to work. I have all my probe programs in their own folder and also in the primary folder for my machining programs. I copied every probe program over, so I had one set that was not edited if I need to go back to the original.

Not using HSM works but in Fusion 360 say I machine a feature. I can then go to the inspection tab, select probe geometry (Select the feature size or tolerance/ Update tool comp/ ect..) reference the operation that machined the feature, then run another op to machine the feature.

Carl likely installed your machine and I'd bet you have the same prob programs.

I was told that you can't run a program inside of one folder from a program outside the same folder.

I wanted to move all our tool and part probing cycles into a second folder separate from production so operators wouldn't accidentally edit/delete them but was told we wouldn't be able to call them up anymore.

I was told that you can't run a program inside of one folder from a program outside the same folder.

I wanted to move all our tool and part probing cycles into a second folder separate from production so operators wouldn't accidentally edit/delete them but was told we wouldn't be able to call them up anymore.
Yeah, you have to have the probe programs in the same folder as the cutting program, at least on my 2016 S700X1. Maybe newest control removes that limitation?

Regards.

Mike

You can totally stop, probe, update offset if needed, and rerun tool path if needed on a Speedio. I used a little conditional branching action when determining if rework is needed. Good luck!

Seems very archaic not to be able to pull a sub from a different folder. Also interesting that 4 Yamazen techs did not know this either.
So the program file is loaded into the Renishaw folder and it's still a no go. See attached photo.
20240215_135339.jpg

Shut off the machine then power it back up. I get that Error sometimes when loading the program and running for the first time. Even if I do a small edit. I have ran a program a dozen times, edited something and loaded it again and get the error. Power down and back up. always works for me.

Shut off the machine then power it back up. I get that Error sometimes when loading the program and running for the first time. Even if I do a small edit. I have ran a program a dozen times, edited something and loaded it again and get the error. Power down and back up. always works for me.
That didn't work. Let the machine set off overnight and it still probes X then alarms out on that same line. If I use Go Probe it works fine but I cannot get the machine to probe from the program.

Seems very archaic not to be able to pull a sub from a different folder. Also interesting that 4 Yamazen techs did not know this either.
So the program file is loaded into the Renishaw folder and it's still a no go. See attached photo.
View attachment 428710

If you call programs from a folder, you lose a level of macro program call nesting. If you run everything from the top level directory, it should run just fine.

Limits like this are why I tell customers to just avoid folders altogether - they offer very little actual utility, while being a difficult UI layer to manage, and put weird/funky limits on things like macro calls (especially probing, where Renishaw and Blum are a rats nest of interconnected programs with calls).

Just run everything out of the top level directory. If you don't trust your operators, use the program protection feature on the probing programs (or any core utility programs).

If you run everything from the top level directory, it should run just fine.
I'm not sure what you mean by this? I have a total of 4 folders. One has the spindle warmup program, one is for the Blum toolsetter, another for Renishaw spindle probe, and one that has some reference sample programs.

Right now the part program is in the Renishaw folder along with all the macros and a couple GoPro manual probing routines I wrote.

Are you saying to copy all the Renishaw folder contents and paste them to the main directory?

Playing around this afternoon I went and copied the entire contents of the Renishaw folder and loaded it onto the main directory. I'm still getting the same exact problem. I take it there is something wrong with the Renishaw macros. Anyone have a known set of working ones I can get?

Are you saying to copy all the Renishaw folder contents and paste them to the main directory?

Yes. This is exactly how the machines in this region are set up. Everything in the top level directory, no folders.

Playing around this afternoon I went and copied the entire contents of the Renishaw folder and loaded it onto the main directory. I'm still getting the same exact problem. I take it there is something wrong with the Renishaw macros. Anyone have a known set of working ones I can get?

Humm. The alarm is the same with a macro error vs exceeding the maximum sub-program nest. Have these Renishaw macros run OK before?

Your AE will have the latest stuff - I would probably do a fresh install of the macros plus a re-calibrate. I know we've had many many versions of the Renishaw macros floating around and they are regularly updated. We now have a National Apps engineer who is cleaning all this up and managing it across the country.

Have these Renishaw macros run OK before?

No it has never worked since day 1 which will be 4yrs this fall. We've had at least 4 different people from Yamazen in to work on the machine at one point or another, none of them could get the probe to function from a program. I was told to use the GoProbe app and that was it.

I could calibrate the probe in XY but not Z since there is no working tool setter. That's a sordid tale for another day. The short of it is I do not trust our local dealer to do anything right. I'd rather try and get the macros from a machine owner who has used them and knows they work.

I could calibrate the probe in XY but not Z since there is no working tool setter. That's a sordid tale for another day. The short of it is I do not trust our local dealer to do anything right. I'd rather try and get the macros from a machine owner who has used them and knows they work.

Your tool setter STILL isn't working? Calibrate the probe off of the table itself. No need for the tool setter. Are you in the Brother FB Group?

Your tool setter STILL isn't working? Calibrate the probe off of the table itself. No need for the tool setter. Are you in the Brother FB Group?
No it's another issue that was never resolved. I've been using my Tschorn setter and honestly I like it a whole lot more than the Blum even though it's manual. I put this whole mess down to the guy who was sent alone to install the Blum and had never done one before.

This is one of those goofy M series machines, no way to probe is reaching the table.

Not in the Brother FB group. Honestly we really want this machine to go away. It's been a terrible experience for us. Looking to replace it with a DVF4000.

Back