What's new
What's new

Brother Speedio Purchase Questions

Cool. The things you learn in here.
Hey, is the difference between a S500X2 and S500Xd1 strictly control related or are the machines physically different?
I think that there are some other changes. I know that BBT is standard across the line-up. The cast is supposedly 20% wider or thicker, I can't remember. There is a 28-tool changer for the S500 standard spec. I am sure that someone can call out more of the differences, but that is all I have off the top of my head.

Cool. The things you learn in here.
Hey, is the difference between a S500X2 and S500Xd1 strictly control related or are the machines physically different?
Control also includes motors and drives but the mechanical spec is slightly different and there are minor changes to allow for even quicker part productions.

Oh yea. Fairfield isn't far at all. I bet he would cover you or at least be able to point you in the right direction for the bay area office.

I'm happy to post them here (already ran it by the owner of the machine). I'm pretty sure all the Yamazen guys in this thread have seen them already (Greg has worked with the owner, Dennis is at least aware that this happened, and the east coast Yamazen crew have the pics. So it wouldn't surprise me if Andy/Frank have seen them) but it'll be useful should anyone find this thread in the future.

The toolchanger mount is impressively simple. It just plops onto the 12 and 6 dowels and is held on with 8 threaded holes. They had 0 timing or anything special to do. Just on and back off. There's a handful of sheet metal to take off on the back of the toolchanger. The parts list in the back of the install manual came in real handy since the service manual wasn't available haha.

Forgive the HDR nonsense. I pulled a screenshot from a video. But you can see how simple the TC mounting is.

Screenshot 2023-09-29 at 5.09.44 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-29 at 5.01.21 PM.png

Once it was off the machine basically became any other speedio and slipped right through the garage door

Screenshot 2023-09-29 at 5.03.38 PM.png

For reference, the height opening on this door is just about 84 inches and they had clearance a plenty. My door is 83 inches before any woodwork comes off. The picture below was what basically pushed me over the edge of convincing me I could get it in
Screenshot 2023-09-29 at 5.04.56 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-29 at 5.06.36 PM.png

Last edited:
For the height of the machine. This is what I was working from: 16.7" for the new cover, and 82.9" from the feet to the top of the cabinet. My garage ceiling is 95".
At 95 inches, wont you still have to cut a hole in the ceiling for the 98.3" max height of the flex cable? Or is there no concern over that thing bumping into the ceiling every time it rapids in Z (moreso for it making its own hole vs actually hurting the machine).

Thanks for posting the pictures. That looks really straightforward. Do you know how tall your buddies garage ceiling is?

At 95 inches, wont you still have to cut a hole in the ceiling for the 98.3" max height of the flex cable? Or is there no concern over that thing bumping into the ceiling every time it rapids in Z (moreso for it making its own hole vs actually hurting the machine).
I already have a cut out for the 2216 that is in there now. It is trimmed out and everything.

Thanks for posting the pictures. That looks really straightforward. Do you know how tall your buddies garage ceiling is?
I have a ton more. If you, or anyone else, has anything specific they want to see I can dig through my pics and videos and see if I managed to catch it anywhere. I had him take a bunch of bizarrely specific pictures and video while I was working out if it would fit.

We were both blown away when he got the machine in his hands. The original plan was to take off a handful of the tool arms at the top of the changer where they stick out. A whole lot of nope to that plan. They are spring loaded and we're pretty sure you would need a special tool of some sort to get them back in without risking breaking. Popping the side sheet metal wing things off was more complex than getting the toolchanger out.

I just asked him for the ceiling height. I'll edit this post when I hear back.

Reactions: PLC
I just asked him for the ceiling height. I'll edit this post when I hear back.
Ceiling height is 99". The top of the tool changer cover sits basically just flush with the top of their ceiling.
Screenshot 2023-09-29 at 8.23.28 PM.png

Yep. From the drawings, he probably has it on the low side of the leveling feet. At a 95" ceiling, my situation would force me to go parallel to the joists. And then I would need to make sure that I had it set right so I could cut a second relief for the cable carrier.

As mentioned, I already have a good sized relief for the 2216 that I can use, and I if want to change configuration in the future I will only need to worry about the small section for the cable carrier. One thing I really liked about the Speedo is that I could easily move it around with a pallet jack.

Maybe, if I am lucky I can get some low profile leveling feet that will eliminate the need completely.

Tough decision for sure.

The feet are super simple. You might be able to turn a new set but I'm not sure you would get that much of a return out of it. I don't think the bottom of that pocket radius is any more than maybe 2 inches off the bottom of the whole puck

5DE32E0B-CEB3-42E9-8BA8-06B0BCADC811.jpeg

If I can pick up an 1" - 1.5" on the feet and level the machine close to the ground it will close for the 98.3" called out in the manual. It would be a stretch. There are some spots we're the sheet rock is closer to 96" so I might just need to zip some screws in pull it back up.

Regardless, I think the 99.6" would force me to go parallel with the joists no matter what. I don't see a way I would pick up any more.

Curious how many of the Speedio guys with the X1s and X2s wished they had more tools. I know more is always better, but I don't hear about too many complaints.

Curious how many of the Speedio guys with the X1s and X2s wished they had more tools. I know more is always better, but I don't hear about too many complaints.
Ours are 14 and it's never been a problem. I could keep more standard tools in there at 28, but it's so quick to change tools that's it's not a big deal. Most programs are 5 or 6 tools.

Caveat- these are mostly my products, we're not a job shop, so I can cheat on the design side and not have four different thread sizes and funky undercuts.

Curious how many of the Speedio guys with the X1s and X2s wished they had more tools. I know more is always better, but I don't hear about too many cocomplaints.
I have just 14(13 actually, as my haimer never leaves pot #1). I've come close to maxing it out. But at this point I've never had to stop in the middle of an operation to swap tools. If you rigid tap a lot of hole sizes (drill + tap for every size), that could eat up positions pretty quickly.

I’ve had one with 14. Definitely don’t want that. My two currently both have 21. I have about 6 or so tools that live in the machine. And most others I swap by job. So far never an issue with 21.

I have a suggestion though. When I started all this knowing nothing. I put all my standard tools at like 1-40 or so then all the tools I regularly change in the high numbers. This is a little bit of a pain since I wind up mostly tweaking the high number tools and have to scroll through the pages to get to them pretty regularly. I’d like to change so my standard tools are in the 70’s and up and the changeable tools are 1 and up.

I can't speak for every job on every Speedy in my territory, but of the 20+ significant projects (current customers looking for help, all the way to complex turnkeys), only 1 has come close to maxing out the tool capacity. That was a mill/turn/full 5 axis job with significant probing and a spindle gripper flip in an M200.

Average work I see around here is 10-15 tools. The most I ever used on my personal machine was 18.

Most of the time, people worry about capacity not from a capabilty to make a part perspective, but from wanting to be able to mix jobs without a lot of tool changes. This is mostly coming from VMCs with big changers where swapping out tools is sort of a headache - on a Speedio, I can swap every tool out of the turret in about 3 minutes. Give me another 2 and let the automated touch-off set them all while I do something else.

I tell customers to ditch the big numbered tool library and just have your CAM system number tools based on their turret position only. Using Tool 44 in Turret 3 works, but it is a headache and kills one of the greatest unspoken things about running a Speedy - I can open the door and look at every tool in the machine with the number right under it on the cover.

We have a machine running a production part and adding another operation to the machine puts us at 21 (had to remove the probe) and move one operation to a different machine. Our other production machines frequently live in the 18-20 range, so while we are OK with 21 I wouldn't be able to go with any less really.

Yamazen is shipping mine straight to Lawson. This was Lawsons request. No clue if thats so they can pull it out of the spaceship box or just so they can control all the logistics. Pretty sure my neighborhood would kick me out if I had two flatbeds show up at once so it works just fine for me. I am really impressed with them. Their foreman came out, did a walk around, and made a video recording exactly what to bring, how to set up ramps, and how to move the machine for his guys. Very impressive and they've been way more accommodating than I would have ever expected for a random 2000 dollar job that likely isn't going to repeat.
They were EXCELLENT to deal with when I had a VMC moved in the bay area. Same story- $2000 forklift job with top notch service.

I got by just fine for several years with 14 tools. It was annoying when a job would come along that would make me split things up and reload tools half way through. Totally depends on what you're doing. FYI, on the 28 tool carousel, you can't see about 1/3 of the tools on top. They are way up under a shroud. You can now have up to 200 tool #s (up from 100). 1-99 and 201-299(new). I would have several tools that never left the machine (face, center, cham, 2x rough, finish, and haimer). With 28, I'm gonna load up and forget others I use a lot, several drill sizes, couple taps. Recc: Technics tap holder is super nice. Quick change out for different sizes. If you keep your tool numbers organized, you can measure them once and then not remeasure when swapping taps:

Re the tool break thing and Z-Nano speeds. Rebuilding the Blum macros is starting to get up my todo list. Matt Blackwell (Blackwell Engineering) already added some nice facemill insert measuring code and I think we need to get the tool break code optimised (especially for those who run with rapids lower than max).

My (bugfixed) Fusion post is here:

I'll throw up a (modified) Blum 87xx macros page in the future. Still a little unsure if Blum will mind if I add their 87xx macros in some public place though (they said yes to this more than once, but I'm unclear if they understood what I was intending..?)

Back