What's new
What's new

Brother Speedio slow with A-Axis rotation

70olds

Aluminum
We have several Speedios and just recently tried engraving around a cylindrical surface on one of them. Problem is it is exceptionally slow on the rotation and is really limiting the speed I can run at. I can't go over 780 DPM and engraving one fairly small letter is taking well over a minute. I tried upping the feed rate parameter for the rotary and I still get an alarm over 780 DPM. It can rapid plenty quick though. I was told this may be a known issue, particularly when the machines are run in inch mode vs. metric. If that's the case, is there a known solution to the known issue anyone can help me out with that doesn't involve putting the machine in metric or slowing down the rapid parameter and running it in rapid (probably wouldn't work moving X and Y at the same time anyway).

To be clear I am doing an X, Y, A move during the engraving.

Thanks.

Last edited:
With parameter changes you can program up to F1968 in inch mode. When doing a feed move with rotary axis this becomes degrees per minute, which is about 5.5 rpm. In metric mode you can program up to F50000.

Any chance you could tell me which parameters those are that I would need to change?

I don't know why I wrote RPM on the initial post, I meant DPM. Just shy of 30 seconds for one full revolution.

Thanks.

We have several Speedios and just recently tried engraving around a cylindrical surface on one of them. Problem is it is exceptionally slow on the rotation and is really limiting the speed I can run at. I can't go over 780 DPM and engraving one fairly small letter is taking well over a minute. I tried upping the feed rate parameter for the rotary and I still get an alarm over 780 DPM. It can rapid plenty quick though. I was told this may be a known issue, particularly when the machines are run in inch mode vs. metric. If that's the case, is there a known solution to the known issue anyone can help me out with that doesn't involve putting the machine in metric or slowing down the rapid parameter and running it in rapid (probably wouldn't work moving X and Y at the same time anyway).

To be clear I am doing an X, Y, A move during the engraving.

Thanks.

I don't know what CAM you are on, but switching to Inverse Time Feed will likely help. Keep the code tolerances low so that you create longer travel per block sections (thus lower inverse time feed numbers) to stay off the 9999.999 limit on the C-00 (the D-00 has 6 significant digits of inverse time, so essentially unlimited).

In DPM mode, there are a couple of known issues in inch mode and internal conversions to rotary motion, and this is being worked on right now by Brother from what I hear. DMP and Inverse Time in Metric are totally functional.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try implementing all of that when I get a chance to run that part again and see how it goes.

Are there any updates here? Im getting ready to run my first 4-axis part on an S1000X1 using Fusion. Anything I should know ahead of time wrt a working 4-axis post for fusion or settings on the machine? If I need to switch the machine from inch to metric is it going to mess up all of the probing routines on the machine?

Back