What's new
What's new

Brother Speedio Spindle choice?

I'd narrow your choices down to either the 16k or 10K HT.

For a shop only doing aluminum I'd suggest the 16k, but the 10k HT is a beast for a BT30 spindle and will be closer to a 40 taper. Way more torque and comes standard with Dual Contact, although you can get this on the 16k as well. 10k HT is going to be a better job shop/universal spindle and handle larger and longer tools better but I've seen some massive stainless parts done (6"+ thick) on a 16k that I previously wouldn't believe. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either one.

If I were personally buying a Speedio, I'd go 10k HT since I do a mix of materials and I don't care that much about the higher RPM.
The Big+ probably would have been nice.

SS316.jpg

What kind of tool runout are you guys getting with the 27K spindle ? A Speedio may be in our future, but right now we use 20 taper tools with Ibag 40K spindles and are able to keep our single lip engraving cutters under .0005" TIR or better with good preparation.

What kind of tool runout are you guys getting with the 27K spindle ? A Speedio may be in our future, but right now we use 20 taper tools with Ibag 40K spindles and are able to keep our single lip engraving cutters under .0005" TIR or better with good preparation.
I don't have a 27k but any speedio with a high quality toolholder i.e. shrink fit, poweRgrip, hydraulic. Should have at most .0002" runout.

I don't have a 27k but any speedio with a high quality toolholder i.e. shrink fit, poweRgrip, hydraulic. Should have at most .0002" runout.
Yeah, .0002" or better with a decent set up. I've gotten them to practically Zero (nearly undetectable with a Mitutoyo tenths indicator) using an ER collet chuck. Was running a .010" end mill in tool steel for a crimping die. Couldn't tell it was doing anything until the cut was over and I could see the nice slots with the coolant off.

Only 3 F600s were imported to the US. I know 2 of them and the owners *love* them, but word is that it is basically gone from the lineup and we won't be seeing an Xd1 upgrade to it. You could always factory order one from Yamazen, but if the factory stops making them... not much to be done.
Andy quoted me the third one, and if had any money, I would have bought it. I think they were priced around 120, but that third one would have been a steal at the quote price if I had money or brains.

Back