What's new
What's new

BROTHER TC-229 A00 CONTROL

Jorgec73

Plastic
Hello Forum!
i have bought an used a brother TC-229 tapping center ,

the issue : actually im using mastercam x9 for programming , already read the communication manual connected to the nc code software ( cimco edit) and i can recieve data but it showns
all the code recieved from the machine in one line.

the question
* its anyone using a similar control machine , how do you have programed it ?
* i should be programming on mastercam & sending nc code to an usb , using a titan dnc feeder ?

im stuck on this not knowing how to send nc codes to this machine :C

thanks !

Jorge C.

I'm no expert but it sounds like it's not seeing a Carriage Return / Line Feed.
I'm using Cimco edit too, with a plain old RS232 line. It is plugged into a USB to RS232 converter at the PC though, because the new PC doesn't have physical COM ports. It works fine.

Here's how I have it set for our Brother with the same control:

brother settings.JPG

Last edited:
Hey man thanks!
okay will change that setting

btw do i need a postprocessor specific for the nc code of this machine ?

thanks!!

I'm no expert but it sounds like it's not seeing a Carriage Return / Line Feed.
I'm using Cimco edit too, with a plain old RS232 line. It is plugged into a USB to RS232 converter at the PC though, because the new PC doesn't have physical COM ports. It works fine.

Here's how I have it set for our Brother with the same control:

View attachment 373108
thanks! man
i will apply this setting
btw do i need a special postprocessor for the nc code for this machine ?

thanks! a lot

Hey man thanks!
okay will change that setting

btw do i need a postprocessor specific for the nc code of this machine ?

thanks!!
I use the one that we have for Haas. It works fine. I take out the G20 at the beginning though, since the A00 doesn't know what to do with that one.
I also add an M200 and M400 at the beginning of the program, that turns the coolant pumps for the tool and the washdown on as long as the coolant button is turned on at the control. My operator likes to use the washdown hose sometimes, so that's why I add the M400 as well.

I use the G77 for tapping:
The thing to know here is that J is pitch for Imperial, I is pitch for Metric; S is spindle speed, L is spindle speed for coming out of the hole, and Q (optional) is pecking depth.

So to tap with a 10-32, 1" deep, peck once, go in at 3000 rpm and come out at 5000 rpm would be:
G99 G77 Z-1. R.1 J32 S3000 L5000 Q.5

I haven't done metric taps yet, but to do the same with an M4 x .7 tap, I assume it would be all the same except swap out the J32 with an I.7

Did you get a programming manual with it?

Last edited:
If it is a 229 it is not A00 control and may be a conversational only control and won't run G code. Those were one way or the other. TC-S2A with A00 control (like new Speedios) could be run in G code or conversational.

Last edited:
I use the one that we have for Haas. It works fine. I take out the G20 at the beginning though, since the A00 doesn't know what to do with that one.
I also add an M200 and M400 at the beginning of the program, that turns the coolant pumps for the tool and the washdown on as long as the coolant button is turned on at the control. My operator likes to use the washdown hose sometimes, so that's why I add the M400 as well.

I use the G77 for tapping:
The thing to know here is that J is pitch for Imperial, I is pitch for Metric; S is spindle speed, L is spindle speed for coming out of the hole, and Q (optional) is pecking depth.

So to tap with a 10-32, 1" deep, peck once, go in at 3000 rpm and come out at 5000 rpm would be:
G99 G77 Z-1. R.1 J32 S3000 L5000 Q.5

I haven't done metric taps yet, but to do the same with an M4 x .7 tap, I assume it would be all the same except swap out the J32 with an I.7

Did you get a programming manual with it?
Yes man thanks for that but asi the brotherfrank says i have search info and my machine does not run g code thats a problem im actually reading the programming manual thanks

If it is a 229 it may be a conversational only control and won't run G code. Those were one way or the other. TC-S2A with A00 control l(like new Speedios) could be run in G code or conversational.

yes you re correct , im stuck on how to preset the tooling do you have any experiencie with this ?
if anyone need manuals for this machine i can share just give me time to do the scanning

i have the programming , installation & opertaions manual

thanks

yes you re correct , im stuck on how to preset the tooling do you have any experiencie with this ?
if anyone need manuals for this machine i can share just give me time to do the scanning

i have the programming , installation & opertaions manual

thanks
Sorry, I avoid conversational like the plague . Warning to anyone looking at a machine older than about 1999. If the model # does not have an A in it, such as TC-S2A, R2A, 32A, 31A, 22A , BEWARE!

Hello Forum!
i have bought an used a brother TC-229 tapping center ,

the issue : actually im using mastercam x9 for programming , already read the communication manual connected to the nc code software ( cimco edit) and i can recieve data but it showns
all the code recieved from the machine in one line.

the question
* its anyone using a similar control machine , how do you have programed it ?
* i should be programming on mastercam & sending nc code to an usb , using a titan dnc feeder ?

im stuck on this not knowing how to send nc codes to this machine :C

thanks !

Jorge C.
You will be able to tell if it is a G code machine by the keypad. If it has the alphabit on it you have a G code machine.
I have a 227 which is a lot older (I think 1991 vintage ). Manual says if you have a G code you also have conversational. Try a G1 X1.0 Z.5 or a Y and Z move. This will tell you if you can 3D work (Mine will not allow X and Z moves or Y and Z moves together).
As far as DNC I would probably forget it.You can try but I would not put to much effort into this.Mine has 75K to 125K memory on board.Which is plenty to drill and tap holes and do some milling along with a 4th axis position only.
I talk to mine with a Winbook tablet viva RS 232.

You will be able to tell if it is a G code machine by the keypad. If it has the alphabit on it you have a G code machine.
I have a 227 which is a lot older (I think 1991 vintage ). Manual says if you have a G code you also have conversational. Try a G1 X1.0 Z.5 or a Y and Z move. This will tell you if you can 3D work (Mine will not allow X and Z moves or Y and Z moves together).
As far as DNC I would probably forget it.You can try but I would not put to much effort into this.Mine has 75K to 125K memory on board.Which is plenty to drill and tap holes and do some milling along with a 4th axis position only.
I talk to mine with a Winbook tablet viva RS 232.
what cable setup and communication setting are you using?

Back