What's new
What's new

Brown and Sharpe 510 Grinder Lubrication System

TheCollective

Plastic
Hi everyone,

I could use some advice about the replacement of the lube system on my new-to-me surface grinder. I had originally wanted to get this up and running ASAP, but realized that the gibs were out of adjustment and subsequently that the lubrication system was pretty damaged (broken lines and metering valves don’t work).

The issue that I’m having is that they used soft aluminum pipes with brass bushings. I haven’t been able to find anything to repair or replace it exactly. My though was to move to 4 mm OD nylon tubing with brass compression fittings from McMaster Carr. I figure that the old oil ports are about the tapping size for M5, so I can cobble together a half metric/half imperial system. The issue is that the fittings are slightly too large to fit on/at some of the oil ports, given that they never had fittings there to begin with.

The only other option I have found are push-in fittings for air, which are cheaper and smaller, eliminating the clearance issues. The spec sheets specifically state not to use with oil, but I can’t see why when I look at the part breakdown. Every material there should be able to handle low pressure oil (20 PSI?).

Really at this point I just want this machine back online. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

QT: (The spec sheets specifically state not to use with oil, )
Just a guess but perhaps because oil is hydraulic and so transmits high pressure if hard pushed..and the fittings are not suited for the highest pressure.

again...just a guess.

This who I buy my Bijur type fittings from. I see your in Canada. I'm not sure if they sell in Canada. https://lube-global.com/english/scategory.php?scid=77 Some advise if your going to redo the system, mount a manifold with the metering units where you can reach them with-out dismantling the machine. Then run the pipes or tubing to the lubrication points. If your a hobbyist and only going to use the machine now and then use the nylon. If it's a production shop use copper. 5/32" of an inch is the size of 90% of American made machines. Both nylon and copper. Like Bridgeport uses a FJB 2 on a grinder saddle and table I would use a 1 or 2 metering unit on the column I would use a 0 or 1. I have epoxied nylon tubes into drilled hole to save money. On Bridgeport's the use a lead tapered od compression plug to hold the tube in place

@michiganbuck
Thanks, that was my suspicion as well. I had a look at the materials the push in connectors are made from, and all should be fine with mineral oil. I'm tempted to just go for it due to the ease of implementation. Given this is only a fraction of the rated 150+ PSI, I'm doubting the tube/fitting connection will fail that easily.

@Richard King
Thanks Richard, I've been able to source the new metering units through McMaster Carr. This grinder has eight over two manifolds, so it won't be cheap. I have to use a freight forwarder, as they won't ship to Canada anymore. Good call on moving the manifolds, as you do have to pull the column to get at them.

Copper is definitely a better idea in the long run, but I can't source it right now. I picked 5/32" (4 mm) because it is common, oddly enough the old stuff was 3 mm OD.

If your B&S 510 is like mine, there's a pair of bijur-type manifolds mounted to the column of the machine and the base, with a flexible hose from the machine base to the column. The bijur pump feeds the base manifold.

All of what you need is available, including copper tube or nylon, whatever your preference. I generally get that stuff from fluidlinesystems.net. You'd need meter units, possibly tubing, and possibly a new hose if yours leaks.

If you 510 SG is like my 612 SG, all of the metering units are of the continuous flow type. Be sure to buy the correct ones, it makes a difference. I was able to clean out all of the tubes and metering units on my SG and reuse. The tubing is available off of eBay if you desire to buy from there. So far, mine has been working just fine even though I haven't fired it up in a while.

If someone and Canada has the tubing can he mail it to you without all the custom issues? I know someone who drives to and from the states and maybe he could put the tubing in his suitcase?

Back