What's new
What's new

Brown and Sharpe No. 13 Accessories Wanted

torinwalker

Aluminum
Gentlemen,

I have a Brown and Sharpe No. 13 1930's era (mfg'd in 1943) and am looking for a few bits and pieces:

First Item:
The 4-jaw independent chuck with 1.5-6 adapter (p/n 3870, image below)
brown and sharpe no 13 - 4-jaw independent chuck (3870).png
(Was this made by B&S or did they source someone else's chuck because I swear I just saw one that looks identical from Skinner)

Item Two
The left and right table travel-stop dog assemblies. I made my own but would prefer the originals.
brown and sharpe no 13 - table stop dog assembly.png

Item Three:
The tooth-index finger for the radial grinding attachment. I know I can easily make this but the original is always preferred
brown and sharpe no 13 - radial grinding attachment.png

I'm looking for more small bits and pieces, but want to keep this post brief.

PM me please.

Torin...

I hope you find it to keep the original design 4jaw.
Another idea is to make a stub shank arbor that fits your headstock and comes out as a face plate to fit a 4jaw (and other things perhaps) The face can be ground in place for high accuracy. With also having the ability to hold a V block it becomes a whirly jig.

Michiganbuck,

Agreed. I actually have the original faceplate and am using it to hold a miniature 100mm low profile 4-jaw. It's bumped around until centered and held in only by friction, but good enough until I find the original.

There are so many B&S 13's on the market (mostly the newer circa-1956 variant), so surprised people aren't offering more parts for these.

My machine came with practically every attachment ever made for it, save for the internal grinder (shame), so always on the lookout for the few pieces I don't have provided they're affordable.

Thanks for the PM.

I have a bunch of stuff for the B&S #13, travel dogs, and other stuff. PM me if you still need it.

Edit: Mine is the newer style #13, I don't think the parts will interchange.

I have a bunch of stuff for the B&S #13, travel dogs, and other stuff. PM me if you still need it.

Thanks for the offer. No, the travel dogs are different and won't fit, but the chuck (if you have it) might.

I received a PM last recently but when I went to retrieve it, it was gone. I cannot find either of the two members (jerry07 who sent it, or Kyle08 who supposedly has this part I'm looking for.) Anyone have a clue who he might be talking about?

You most have missed the post of Kyle08 about Brown and Sharpe No. 13 Accessories for sale some days ago…. I asked him about it and he said it’s still available with him. Here is Email <the email he supplied bounced>
Since neither member exists and the email bounced, this guy might be phishing, not sure.

Torin...

I received a PM last recently but when I went to retrieve it, it was gone. I cannot find either of the two members (jerry07 who sent it, or Kyle08 who supposedly has this part I'm looking for.) Anyone have a clue who he might be talking about?

Since neither member exists and the email bounced, this guy might be phishing, not sure.

Torin...

Yup. Definitely some sort of scam going on. Got another email from a member who just joined today - claims to know a friend who has a 4-jaw chuck and provded his external email. Wondering what their play is.

Well no matter, eKretz seems to have taken care of him. Good riddance.

1677091614675.png

Update:

Not that anyone is listening :-) but I've sourced a 5-3/4 "dust-proof" Skinner 4-jaw chuck from ebay identical to the B&S catalog drawing except maybe for the diameter. Was expensive, but worth it. Just need to make a 1-1/2x6 threaded adapter plate for it which brings up the age-old question, do I make it from steel, or splurge and make it from cast-iron (guy locally selling Durabar for $1 CAD / lb.)

SShep71-
I have a late model B&S#13, probably built in 1983.
I am seeking some table travel dogs, and maybe the
lever that they would contact. My machine is a #13H
for hand feed only, but I think the table dogs are the same.
Let me know if you still have them please.
--Doozer

Doozer I sent you a reply,

I am actually thinking of selling the machine and all the tooling with it, I just don't seem to use it and I can use the room. I spent all the time rebuilding it, scraping ways, regrinding table, etc so I am hoping it can go somewhere other than scrap. I will post it up with a slew of pictures if I decide to go that route.

Back