What's new
What's new

Brown and Sharpe Omniversal - brought one home

tx656

Plastic
Someone mentioned to my father they had a mill that was taking up space. I wasn't looking for horizontal but when I was home in spring I went to check it out.

omni 1 edit.jpg
Yeah, I'll take it. :)

Don't have good pics of loading it. Always too busy when that's going on.

1,100 plus mile haul one way. Here's a picture from somewhere in Kansas. I've rented a trailer like this for one other haul. They ride and pull great! And it kept me from having to pull the gooseneck up and back. I forget the rating but I had plenty excess capacity.

omni3 edit2.jpg

When I unloaded my shaper I unloaded it 'outside' and then had trouble getting it 'inside'. This machine I unloaded 'inside'. This mill is a lot lighter than the shaper. The Tak had no issues lifting, turning and traveling. You have to watch the boom or you will have a new skylight.
omni4.jpg

omni5.jpg

My son did 1/2 the driving. We got back to the house around 6 am. Wide awake so might as well unload!
omni6.jpg

AND it came with this cool letter. I know I know they didn't make a #2 'Omni'. This letter states this machine was 'well equipped'. Unfortunately a lot has gone missing between 1989 and now...OR maybe the factory was looking at the build sheet for this serial number and the build sheet indicated 'well equipped'. I don't have indexing head or the gear set. Also I only have the overhead arbor on the pics. Don't have the one with the large center. But of course I'm still excited to have the machine! Clean up etc won't happen until at least winter. (There is a shaper in line in front of it).

omni8.jpg

Congratulations! An Omniversal is up there on my fantasy shop list. Super cool that there's one in Texas now! What part are you in? Please take lots of pictures, video, etc.

Thanks to John Oder's post I think I now know what one of the holders that came with a used cutter grinder I bought is for.
It looks like it adapts a # 9 Brown and Sharpe taper to take the #30 cam lock adapters .
In the 20 +years I've had it I never had an occasion to need it .
Jim

Attachments

• IMG_1967.JPG
    IMG_1967.JPG
    747.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1968.JPG
    IMG_1968.JPG
    694 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1969.JPG
    IMG_1969.JPG
    749.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1970.JPG
    IMG_1970.JPG
    592 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1972.JPG
    IMG_1972.JPG
    731.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1975.JPG
    IMG_1975.JPG
    663.8 KB · Views: 5
A sad tale from pre internet days - I had a NEW from B&S omni MANUAL and loaned it out - to be told later it was "lost". Live and learn

Nice machine! I'm still drooling over your shop though. SKYLIGHTS no less. I take it you live a lot closer to the equator than this canuk. I agree it is nice to be well equipped to unload and move these machines around. [big thumbup here.]

Over the past several months I've been able to acquire some of the B&S #30 camlock tooling.

1685921813479.png

Look in the door at the back of the machine down low to see if the dividing head gears are stored in their proper slots.
Unfortunately that gearing was not/is not present. (And the 10" dividing head has been lost to the ages)

I've read that there is/was a Chinese copy of the B&S 10" dividing head (and gears)?

Back