What's new
What's new

Brown & Sharpe automatic center punch No. 770

maynah

Stainless
I'm looking through a lot of things I haven't seen for a while and rediscovering them. I bought a little wooden watch crystal cabinet that was being used for a small machinist's toolbox because I saw a Wade hand knurling tool hiding in a drawer. It turned out to have other nice pieces in it including this B&S auto center punch. It's interesting to me because of the paperwork that was with it. The parts drawing may be useful to someone else as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0910 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0910 - Copy.jpg
    540.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0911 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0911 - Copy.jpg
    627.3 KB · Views: 39
  • B&S center punch4.jpg
    B&S center punch4.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 40
  • B&S center punch.jpg
    B&S center punch.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 55
  • B&S center punch3.jpg
    B&S center punch3.jpg
    475.7 KB · Views: 44
I also have a scan of the invoice for the 2 points, (60 cents), but it won't let me attach it for some reason. I thought it was too big but I resized it to 1 MB but still won't attach.

Nice tool.

My late dad bought me the “ Moore & Wright “ version when I started my apprenticeship back in 1965. They’re a bit of a gimmick if I’m being honest. I worked on marking out/inspection for a while and I was much quicker with a conventional centre punch and a 1/2 lb “ toffee “ hammer.

I still have the one my dad bought me. It’s one of the few things I’d never get rid of even though I never use it.

Regards Tyrone

I agree Tyrone about being gimmicky.
With light hammer strikes a guy gets pretty good at moving the regular center punch mark around until it’s exactly where you want it.

I'm looking through a lot of things I haven't seen for a while and rediscovering them. I bought a little wooden watch crystal cabinet that was being used for a small machinist's toolbox because I saw a Wade hand knurling tool hiding in a drawer. It turned out to have other nice pieces in it including this B&S auto center punch. It's interesting to me because of the paperwork that was with it. The parts drawing may be useful to someone else as well.
Christmas in July... Errr August

Tyrone, would a toffee hammer have a little magnifying glass built in?
No, nothing so sophisticated. When I was on marking out we put the machine lines on raw castings. The lines had to be centre punched roughly every 2” or so. Obviously lots of centre punching. If you couldn’t see half of the line when the casting was machined you knew the guy had taken too much off.

Regards Tyrone

Back