What's new
What's new

Brown & Sharpe calipers made in Germany? WTF

I would be inclined to congratulate you on your good fortune in obtaining a nice German made tool. I would be buying a lottery ticket.
JH
Thanks James,
Just the fact that I was supposed to be buying 25” calibers and got 50” was lucky enough. Almost made me feel bad.

Simply a reference to cheap shit. And you know that !
Thanks redlee,
I beg to differ I’ve never used anything from Germany that wasn’t quality made and these calibers are the best quality I’ve ever seen. The combination of them being Brown & Sharpe and made in Germany just struck me as odd because I’ve never seen Brown & Sharpe have anything made in Germany. And after being a machinist for 25 years I don’t buy anything that’s cheap shit. But thanks for your reply

I have a very large (maybe 24") outside caliper that is B&S and made in England.
Thanks Gazz,
That’s cool, i’ve also never seen Brown & Sharpe have anything made in England either but they sound like a good find.

I would take German made over just about any country I could think of.

My B&S calipers are Swiss made and I have rarely used them, so like brand new..
Just changed the battery.. I think the first battery change.
They check with 5 and zero in the tenth place.

My old Helios Slide Verniers are still good for .002 or so.
Thanks Michiganbuck,
Yes I on at least four other Brown & Sharpe calibers from digital 6” & dial 6’s and all the way up to my vernier 50’s. It is my strong opinion they have always been the best. All Brown & Sharpe are made in Switzerland now because they were bought out by a company called Hexagon Metrology. As far as I know , they merged with Tesa, Interapid and a few smaller companies.

I have a B&S electronic digital mic made by Tesa , a Swiss firm I believe.
"WTF" ???
Why so angry that they were made in Germany ?
Sell them then.... :nutter:
Thanks DDoug,
Not angry at all, sorry if it sounded like that in my post. I was actually very pleased just puzzled because I had never seen anything that was made by Brown & Sharpe but made in Germany. I am completely ecstatic over my purchase and the quality of these B&S 50” ‘s are some of the best I’ve ever seen. Just trying to find out some information about them cause I’ve never seen any like them and neither has anyone else as far as I know.

Thanks redlee,
I beg to differ I’ve never used anything from Germany that wasn’t quality made and these calibers are the best quality I’ve ever seen. The combination of them being Brown & Sharpe and made in Germany just struck me as odd because I’ve never seen Brown & Sharpe have anything made in Germany. And after being a machinist for 25 years I don’t buy anything that’s cheap shit. But thanks for your reply
I have some BS tools, made in England , German stuff is like Japanese well made.

Sounds like a 48" caliper. Vernier calipers are always numbered a little higher than their rated range. Can't help with the year though.
Thanks eKretz! Yes I agree, and B&S does make a 48” and the model number is 570, but they are the old style. The ones I have actually read to 50”, and they are the new style. As far as I know, no one knows anything about these.

i don't know what you have from no photos, but while the old iron might be good , most
of those old verniers had a miserable 25 grad vernier scale . starrett ,b-s, helios etc
all had those teeny scales . not just the calipers, but the height gages as well. fine
if you have 20 yr old eyes....but at 52 yrs i can't see so well.

i've seen b-s stuff
made all over the place -usa , swiss, england,germany . nothing would surprise me.
they rebadge stuff , even chinese now.

i would imagine it is in fine shape- a large caliper like that is seldom used in most shops. hopefully it has the 50 grads like a post 1960's would.

Hey, on posting photos:

* Make a copy of the file if you want to keep the original high resolution version.
* Open the copy in a program like Microsoft Paint
* Use the menu item to change the size. I select measure by Pixels and make it just 800 pixels wide. That will fit, full size, on almost every computer screen. Cell phones will accept it and shrink it further.
* Then just save it and upload that copy.

I have a Starrett 24" height gauge. I would love to see a photo of your B&S caliper.

Back