What's new
What's new

Brown & Sharpe No. 1 1/2 horizontal mill gear box help needed

cdogg

Plastic
I have a Brown & Sharpe 1 1/2 horizontal mill, I think it was built between 1903-1910. When I got it, the gear box on the column was partially disassembled and what wasn't was rusted tight. I have all the parts freed up, and it's going back together. The problem is that low gear won't engage. The dogs engage, but the shaft won't spin the gear, it rides on a bushing. Does anyone have a parts list showing how this shaft is assembled?

Need to post a photo or two - so we will know what it is you want

Here is one way of posting them

Little scan here shows "a gear box on the column" from booklet I scanned above

Attachments

• BS gearbox.jpg
    BS gearbox.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
The gear in the picture has teeth on the side not shown that engage the chain drive sprocket that comes from the mandrel. The part I am holding slips into this. The 3 small holes in the end are threaded and line up with the 3 holes in the part in the right of the picture, that part is countersunk for screw heads. These were not connected when I took it apart. When this is assembled it will spin freely inside the gear. The engagement teeth for low gear are next to my hand. The grooves shown are for oiling. There are wear patterns showing the parts spinning independent of each other.

Attachments

• IMG_7623.JPG
    IMG_7623.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 16

Back