What's new
What's new

Brown & Sharpe No.10 cylindrical grinder?

Aaron B

Aluminum
Okay folks, this one has me a bit stumped. It's possible that I haven't looked at the correct piece of literature to find it. The interweb keeps telling me that a No.10 is a tool and cutter grinder, but this certainly appears to be an OD cylindrical grinder.

Obviously it's older than Methuselah. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• no10a.jpg
    no10a.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 66
  • no10b.jpg
    no10b.jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 69
Okay folks, this one has me a bit stumped. It's possible that I haven't looked at the correct piece of literature to find it. The interweb keeps telling me that a No.10 is a tool and cutter grinder, but this certainly appears to be an OD cylindrical grinder.

Obviously it's older than Methuselah. Any thoughts?
I have Repair Parts for 10 and 12 but likely some "newer" being electric hydraulic type. It clearly states Plain
Grinding Machine

The 1925 catalog shows your #10. Maybe I will get some scanning done of the two pages. This catalog has pages that are but 3 1/2 X 5 3/4"

Add scans of the pair of pages

Attachments

• BS 10 from 1925.jpg
    BS 10 from 1925.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
John, thank you for the scan.

I really need another project like I need a lobotomy. But it's tempting... likely to be a good self instruction course in machine repair.

Don't imagine there are too many of these left.

I really need another project like I need a lobotomy. But it's tempting... likely to be a good self instruction course in machine repair.

The cost of that machine is like . . . one bad night at the bar. And its in Ohio, eazy peazy for you.

I think its a great project. Even that electric motor by itself looks like a sweet side project to it, be curious the year and make of it.

I tend to collect 5 projects to one completed, so you'd be in like company.

Their antiquity seems to be of little account when you see the work from a good one
Here is my much later (but no HYD yet) and the splendid work it would do. It is a 14 X 60 Universal

Attachments

• P1000645sm.jpg
    P1000645sm.jpg
    476.1 KB · Views: 57
  • P1000652.jpg
    P1000652.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 52
Another B&S grinder thread I was reading seemed to indicate that the old plain bearing grinders can potentially produce a superior finish.

If you look at the controls, you can see it was a very well thought out and quality design. In this pic we can see the two table stops are even still on there:
573.JPG

Check out the detail here, even the knobs:

574.JPG

I think the term TC grinder has to do with the easy ability for wheel head up and down.
Much use for TC grinding , and little for OD grinding. The B&S 13 is one of the best small footprint OD grinders, and is tooted as a TC grinder.
*That #10 looks like a very useful grinder.
Many old grinders are worth a ground up rebuilding, likely one could not find a better quality machine,

Last edited:
Yes, I'm aware of the Crystal Lake grinders. Their specs are a bit mind-boggling. Then again I'm not a tool and gage maker. Two millionths roundness and less than 1 RMS finish

Jeez, its even on sale now. Quit messing around, you're causing me pain :D.

Jeez, its even on sale now. Quit messing around, you're causing me pain :D.
You know, you could use some taper gages and maybe unusual collets for the mills .... you don't have a cylindrical yet, do you ? Handy little devils, and really, for short runs and tools, antique grinder is just as good as modern, not like lathes and mills.

That one would look nice, spiffied up a little. It's not too goofy at all.

(Now I'm going to get death threats but you have to admit, truly antique machine tools are an acquired taste :))

You know, you could use some taper gages and maybe unusual collets for the mills .... you don't have a cylindrical yet, do you ? Handy little devils, and really, for short runs and tools, antique grinder is just as good as modern, not like lathes and mills.

That one would look nice, spiffied up a little. It's not too goofy at all.

(Now I'm going to get death threats but you have to admit, truly antique machine tools are an acquired taste :))
I'm very tempted, I had to slap myself :D. Key-righst, I've got stuff lined up out the door I've got to get to. I might get it all wrapped up by the time they nail my lid closed.

I do have the Cincy 10x24 universal in that list btw, so I should have that area covered.

I do have the Cincy 10x24 universal in that list btw, so I should have that area covered.
I keep telling you, you should do that first so you can use it to make nice stuff for the rest of the projects. Ain't nuthin' like a ground surface, mmmm. Except for ... well, anyway ...

op, if you don't have a grinder ? Get off the stick and rent a trailer, you'd have it back home in time for monday night football. Doesn't that start pretty soon? Go niners !

Well, you folks prodded me down the slippery slope on this one. I'm still trying to figure out why exactly I'd want a small od grinder, when what I need is a machine with 36"+ between centers. Guess it just pains me to see all the old stuff getting melted and sold back as Harbor Freight tools. And as someone else mentioned previously, grinders really didn't gain much over the years in the way lathes and milling machine did.

I always have the right to cancel the purchase when I look at it in person.

Was sorely tempted by a B&S No.5 surface grinder, but cash is tight, and I'm leery of ancient hydraulics.

Well, you folks prodded me down the slippery slope on this one. I'm still trying to figure out why exactly I'd want a small od grinder, when what I need is a machine with 36"+ between centers. Guess it just pains me to see all the old stuff getting melted and sold back as Harbor Freight tools. And as someone else mentioned previously, grinders really didn't gain much over the years in the way lathes and milling machine did.

I always have the right to cancel the purchase when I look at it in person.

Was sorely tempted by a B&S No.5 surface grinder, but cash is tight, and I'm leery of ancient hydraulics.
Awesome, I hope you get it.

By way of funny coincidence, I too am mildly considering the No 5 surface grinder. I already own one and use it, though I have not posted much on it:
Brown and Sharpe No 5

Love the machine, and though I use it, it needs a rebuild. Cross feed screw and half nuts are heavily wore on mine, among other things. Its about fifth in line for a rebuild, so it'll be a while before I get to it. I was toying with the idea of two side by side during a rebuild and selling one, once complete.

Mine is from 1962-ish. The one for sale there, I'm guessing is newer, The panel for belt guard on rear of machine is different.

Having the 8" x 24" capacity is real nice too. I used that to do the top surface on a Monarch 61 cross slide recently:

552.JPG

I had been messing around with some paint colors and cleaned up the front side of the machine a while ago:

7.jpg 10.jpg

Available on ebay, and maybe VM, someone did a color schematic of the hydraulics in a service manual.

Assuming you don't get the one there, I'd be curious if the spindle is tight and how the cross slide feels moving it back and forth. Or anything else you might notice.

Last edited:

yeah,, be a clown like me and take on another resto that you don't need! ( we all do it)

yeah,, be a clown like me and take on another resto that you don't need! ( we all do it)

Yeah not like you're Robinson Crusoe....

I sold on most of my projects when I came to the conclusion that I'd never ever get to them. The only one I kept is a small cylindrical grinder which I've already torn apart once and checked out all the internal bits, ways and spindle. Just have to make some new bushings and deal with the lack of power feeds - think it was a lineshaft machine originally.

Don't NEED it but it'll have plenty of uses once I get around to it. And it's the LAST project machine I have left.

PDW

Made on the 14 X 60 B&S for the 30 Packard since the originals were shot - yep part of a Bijur system ON the Packard servicing the shackle bolts. Back in the early nineties.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 21

Back