What's new
What's new

Brown & Sharpe No. ? Horizontal Milling Machine

How much are you asking for this mill? I own an old lathe(Atlas) and I am somewhat new to metal working-I am looking for an older milling machine. If it is within my wifes price range she may let me purchase it:rolleyes5: I sent you a pm.

Thanks

Why downgrade a perfectly sound horizontal?

Bill

I agree.

But, in a past life, I had a No. 1 just like this one with a vertical attachment made by Eklind, the same company that makes allen wrenches.
They quite making them ages ago, but it was pretty neat. Never saw another one. Must be kind of scarce.

Like so many of us and so many things, I sure wish I had held on to it.

I'd date the mill around the mid 1920's - the 3 slot table kinda says 1923 to me. Don't change anything, it's perfect the way it is. And keep it away from the "museums"... $500 and it will be lovingly cared for in someone's garage. Museums need ooohs and ahhs to spread by word of mouth. Few people will know or understand what this mill is. Try it yourself, describe it to someone to get them interested. Won't happen, it's got to go Zoom! or make juice, or anything besides what it actually does. To most, it's as exciting as a pair of pliers.

Btw, that thing will spin a very large flycutter. Cylinder heads, hydraulic pumps... Put a chuck or faceplate on it and you have a large swing lathe. Those old mills are a lot of fun. Treat it like an old machinist who loves his work but doesn't want to do much of it anymore. That is, treat it with respect.

If I had it to do, find someone via this board or Craigslist. This is the person you want:

1. Male (most likely)
2. Engineering trade of some kind (engineer, mechanic, house builder, electrician - someone with theoretical background and hands on application.)
3. College education is an asset but not a requirement (some people I know who haven't been to college have more upstairs than many who have.)
4. Fairly young perhaps as low as mid 20s up to mid 40s in age.
5. Should own a lathe prior to buying this milling machine (this proves interest in these areas)
6. Extra points given for previous ownership of a historical machine (it takes a special someone to put up with the foibles/limitations of some early machinery.)
7. Extra points for having "restored" some machine for his own or others use.
8. Single marital status helps machine time wise, but is not necessarily an asset for personal longetivity.
9. I would give extra points (and consider a discount) from anyone who makes an appointment to see the machine - and KEEPS the appointment - or calls in advance if he can't make it for some personal reason. Also extra points for someone who comes and does his business and keeps his meeting to the subject and stays a polite - but adequate length of time. Kicking iron and shmoozing is for other times - unless of course that is what you as a seller want...
10. Someone who has the "capability" to move the machine on his own - or be prepared to help him at least get it out the door.

I bought a Steam Engine/boiler from a neighbor back when I was growing up. I got the steam engine home without much trouble, but the boiler weighed all of 1500lbs and as an 18 year old I had no capability. But, I kept calling the seller and assuring him I was indeed coming back for the boiler. Ultimately the seller took pity on me and persuaded his second son(who owned a construction company) to move the boiler and deliver it to my dad's driveway. Service above and beyond the call of duty. But the seller "saw" something in me.

This is also one of those cases where unless you're determined or required to get a certain sum for the milling machine, you may want to cut the buyer a break depending on his interest level. A going business concern buying the machine to modify it for specialized singular machining operation might be willing to pay more - but it will lose a good portion of the historical value in their modifications. Meanwhile, the person who SHOULD have it and will preserve it and use it "gently" will more likely have less financial resources but their interest may carry the sale - and reduce your financial return slightly. But where do you take your greatest pleasure? It isn't, or shouldn't, always be financial return. Life is too short for such a limited outlook.

I've mentioned the steam engine. The story of my steam engine is that the engine was the seller's eldest son's - he had an interest in stationary steam. But son had been killed in a car accident before he had ever had a chance to do anything with the engine. And the engine sat out in his yard unrestored with a yellow tar bucket tipped over the top to keep rain off it. Dad (understandably) just couldn't bring himself to do anything with it. So it sat.

And along comes an 18 year old me. By the time the dad/seller and I were done, I had become more like a substitute "son" to the seller and his wife. Each time I was home from engineering college, I would stop in and say hello and catch up with the seller. He continued to "find" and give me steam related ephemera that was formerly his son's. We traded Christmas cards for MANY years afterwards until I read the man's obituary - and then I sent the wife a sympathy card from my now remote work location.

In short it was one of life's significant events. The transfer of that steam engine enriched BOTH our lives in ways larger than merely money could do. And in ways that I as the buyer will remember for my whole life and pass along with the machine when I become the seller myself. And this will happen sooner than I care to admit. We are nothing but custodians, of course.

As I said. Just something to mentally "chew" on. Your mileage (and life's macadam) may vary. And there is no Garmin for life - yet.

Joe
Agree...sorry to revive an old thread, but I really liked what you said here.

Mike

Video: B&S #0 Plain Milling Machine

It's been a few years... I still have the old girl (B&S #0 Plain Milling Machine), but haven't been able to do anything with her. It's taken a while for me to realize, but I just don't have the time or inclination. Here is a link to a short video [video]https://1drv.ms/v/s!Am3x8RI9ydZOgaEhNWeMpfI3W_ajhQ[/video] if you want to see her run.

I think it's time she had something to cut and someone who knows how to take care of her. Send me an email if you are interested (and your resume :) so we can get Joe's approval)!! mtimperley12 at outlook dot com

Since you still have it, I'll throw in my application for donation. Towards Joe's checklist.

Single, Male, 32, have lathe and another similar b&s #0, have had other antique machinery as well.

Also like long walks on the bech.

If you ever did seriously consider getting rid of it, I would love to take it off your hands. I think I paid a few hundred dollars for mine and yours is in way better shape.

Did you say long walks? Ha, ha! :-) but I think I'll wait for a $ offer. The indexing head alone is nice all by itself, but I want to move the lot together.

Greetings and salutations. I’m officially interested in your mill. May I inquire as to your asking price. Thanks.

Back