What's new
What's new

Buffalo drill press with radial saw motor

Tim24

Plastic
So have a Buffalo DP and I was wondering if I could put a craftsman 10in radial arm saw motor on it. I looked on the radial saw motor and could not find how much HP it has

Attachments

• 6403959F-A41B-4D97-A1DB-FED92DFFA7D6.jpeg
    6403959F-A41B-4D97-A1DB-FED92DFFA7D6.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
Without knowing which model, its hard to say. I have a Buffalo DP, forget model#, don't see any way to easily add a 3rd pulley, I'm going to use a 3hp DC , 3450 rpm motor to power it, but with a speed controller.

How do I know what model it is. It is 8.5 inches from the shaft to chuck. Also I don’t see a way to tension the belt. Is there another way to quickly change speeds

Here are some pictures

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 17
You will have to look thru VM to find model, its different than mine, but you could mount an intermediate pulley in the column hole on that model. Still think you would be better off with an 1800 rpm motor though, what is wrong with the motor on it? Looks like belt tension is achieved by moving motor straight back, looks like motor mounting plate has 2 rods that go into head casting, might be stuck if its not been used in awhile.

You will have to look thru VM to find model, its different than mine, but you could mount an intermediate pulley in the column hole on that model. Still think you would be better off with an 1800 rpm motor though, what is wrong with the motor on it? Looks like belt tension is achieved by moving motor straight back, looks like motor mounting plate has 2 rods that go into head casting, might be stuck if its not been used in awhile.
Thanks
I just had the other motor and was going to get rid of it and was wondering if there was any use for it
And for the belt tension I will check that but there is tape all around it so I’ll see what’s going on with that

The last picture shows the belt is loose. Because it is not aligned correctly.
But you probably know that.
Yea I was in the middle of changing speeds
But also what maintenance do I have to do to it. Like oiling and what should I use and how should I do it

Yea I was in the middle of changing speeds
But also what maintenance do I have to do to it. Like oiling and what should I use and how should I do it
-Clean up the rust on the table and column. I use EdFed from Ace Hardware.
-Crank the handle and extend the drill chuck. Oil the column. Not WD-40.
-Then the belt tension adjustment should be built into the back of the drill press.
As you face the tool the left side of the motor mount should be on a swivel joint.
The right side should swing forward and backward to tension the belt.

Last edited:
Thanks
What kind of oil should I use
Also while I was looking at it I found this
What it the best thing to do with it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
If the motor is hinged there may be a strong spring pushing out on the horizontal rod that pushes the motor backwards. Do let that spring fly off and hit you or get lost.
Bill D

Walker Turner DP had an optional slow speed reducer pulley. Not sure but it has an eccentric mount to tighten the front belt somehow.

Back