What's new
What's new

Building your own portable jib crane and OSHA/liability

We're still mocking it up in Solidworks so unknown. I'm sure we'll end up higher than 800.
if you poke around online, you can find a required factor of safety that is to be followed.

Last edited:
Have a licensed professional engineer design for desired loading and sign off on the build. All welding would be done by certified welders, etc. That might put a good deal of the responsibility onto the engineer. One of my customers does load testing on lifting devices giving some sort of certification.

I know of a local shop (Seattle area) that had a press brake that our state's version of OSHA said was only to be used by the shop owner and no employees. It didn't have the usual safety features required on brakes. I had never heard of such a thing. That would likely defeat the purpose of having a lifting device if only the owner could use it though.

Get the appropriate ASME/ANSI specification an read it. Be sure all your calculations conform to the spec. Certification by a Registered Professional Engineer will be necessary to satisfy OSHA.

Considering the liability associated with DIY and the added cost for engineering, I think youn are better off buying something pre-engineered.

To comply with OSHA, your insurance company, relevant industry standards, etc. you are going to need a PE (structural or maybe mechanical) to do load calcs and then sign off on the design. Would likely also need to have load tests performed by qualified third party after the build.

You can hire a PE with a stamp and perform the tests he recommends. It really is that easy. I did the drawings for a company that wanted to make their own and all they had to do was support 2 times the limit weight overnight and they passed the test.

You can hire a PE with a stamp and perform the tests he recommends. It really is that easy. I did the drawings for a company that wanted to make their own and all they had to do was support 2 times the limit weight overnight and they passed the test.
And you signed off on this ?
And applied your PE stamp to it ?

Back